Ransomware Protection Affecting Pinned Items

Hello,

I've installed Bitdefender Total Security 2016 and enabled the Ransomware Protection. I've also added some folders to the default protection list. My problem is that once I reboot, my pinned taskbar items disappear on me. They will only reappear if I turn off the protection and reboot or if I add another pinned item, they will all suddenly appear then.

Any ideas? I'm currently on Windows 10.

Thanks!

Comments

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭

I am having the same problem. This is a glitch that Bitdefender needs to fix. I have wasted hours trying to figure out what was causing this. I thought it must be a Windows 10 "enhanced feature." Thank for posting. My mind is at ease. In my case, the problem does recur on every reboot. It is sporadic, happening most of the time when I reboot, but not always.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭

Hi kghoops and Phil,

Thank you for reporting this behavior.

To further look into this matter please create a file named dbg_trace.ini in C:\ with the string CRYPTPROTECTAL=2

Then replace in Safe Mode vsserv.logger.xml from C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender 2016 with the one attached to my message.

Restart Windows normally and replicate the issue you are having with pinned taskbar items when Ransomware Protection is active.

After the issue is reproduced, please send us the following logs from your system - all .log files from C:\ (e.g. ONACCESS.log; ONDEMAND.log; SCAN.log; SCANSP.log; SFAL.log; BDARDRV.log; BDQUAR.log; GZFLTDP.log, etc.) and a Bitdefender diagnostic log.

After attaching these logs to your reply delete in Safe Mode the files dbg_trace and vsserv.logger, otherwise they will continue generating logs.

We are looking forward to the resulted logs.

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=14457" data-fileid="14457" rel="">vsserv.logger.xml

• garioch7

Georgia:

I would like to assume that you are kidding, right? :rolleyes:

Your request would entail quite a lot of work and time to resolve an issue that Bitdefender should be able to easily replicate in the lab. I really didn't think it was the customer's job to fix Bitdefender bugs.

Between the auto-renewal defaults at Avangate and the poor technical support, I am giving serious consideration to ditching BD. I have been a long-time customer, and I have "sold" many copies to folks to wanted my recommendation as to what is the best AV to use.

Bitdefender seriously needs to improve the customer experience with your products or you will become a future "Ashton-Tate", who at one point in time in the 1980s controlled 80 percent of the database software market with their dBase product line. Who has heard of Ashton-Tate in the last couple of decades ... ?

Just my two cents. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• Hello,

I've installed Bitdefender Total Security 2016 and enabled the Ransomware Protection. I've also added some folders to the default protection list. My problem is that once I reboot, my pinned taskbar items disappear on me. They will only reappear if I turn off the protection and reboot or if I add another pinned item, they will all suddenly appear then.

Any ideas? I'm currently on Windows 10.

Thanks!

I had the same thing. You shouldn't add DESKTOP to ransomware protection...Just try to put them out if there and restart your sysytem. It's better to put some files or folfers bit not desktop.

• garioch7

Vitalik1993:

Thank you for that information. Indeed, I did have my "Desktop" folder listed as "protected" in the Ransomware module. I deleted the protection for that folder, and now my task bar pinned icons survive a reboot.

It would seem that the Bitdefender Ransomware module doesn't like the "Desktop" displaying the task bar pinned icons.

So far, so good. I have rebooted three times, and each time my taskbar icons display as they should during boot.

I hope that the Bitdefender developers resolve this issue, and even more, that they let us know when they have fixed it.

Thank you again, and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• I have 64 bit Windows 7 and the same problem with icons on the Desktop. They get re-sorted every time I boot (pushed to the left side of the Desktop). In addition, Ransomware blocks me from opening TXT files with Notepad that I have on the Desktop. I had to turn RW off.

• The problem is still there in Bitdefender 2017. It really should be fixed. Or Bitdefender could issue a warning if you include Desktop in your Ransomware module.

Maybe I have something important on my Desktop and want it protected. Why should I have to move it?

Of course, the fix is easy and appears permanent: Pin something else to the taskbar, then all the icons reappear.

• For more information regarding about the ransomware protection of bitdefender please click this link:

https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-ransomware-protection-works-in-bitdefender-2017-1733.html default_happy.png

By the way this is the first time that I turn the ransomware protection but somehow I get the same issue.