Two Win7 HTPC's with Ceton TV tuners indistinguishable

DSperber
DSperber ✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in General Topics

I reported this problem on the 2019 product forum back in April, for my 5-seat license for Bitdefender Total Security.  I have now upgraded all my machines to the latest 2020 version and the problem persists. Still uncorrected.

The problem is that my two Win7 HTPC's both use Ceton TV tuner cards, which is a "network device" with an IP address of 192.168.200.1.  This is not a real external internet network adapter, but TCPIP is the protocol used by the Ceton driver to manage the TV tuners. In other words my real LAN devices supported by my Netgear router is the usual 192.168.1.x, with the router gateway being 192.168.1.0 which is very different from the artificial 192.168.200.1 of the Ceton card.

Anyway, when installing Bitdefender on both of these Win7 HTPC's each of which has a Ceton TV tuner card, it is the IP address of the Ceton cards in each HTPC which is mistakenly picked up by the Bitdefender Central registration logic to identify the device, rather than examining the REAL 192.168.1.x network IP address on the real Netgear-hosted LAN. Consequently both HTPC's appear IDENTICAL (since they both are mistakenly identified as 192.168.200.1) instead of UNIQUE (since one is 192.168.1.15 and the other is 192.168.1.28, as viewed by the Netgear router LAN).

The result is to only show one device in Bitdefender Central, namely the last one which got installed, rather than two devices which is the true story. There is only one device name shown, namely the name of whichever machine got installed last, instead of TWO device names which is the true situation.

Based on identical problems reported by other users in the 2019 product forum, my guess is there are other similar explanations (other than HTPC machines with Ceton cards) which are producing a similar "duplicate IP address" detected by the defective Bitdefender Central registration logic, thus mistakenly overlaying one device installed first with a second device installed second... instead of correctly registering both devices uniquely.

This of course does not affect the actual operation of Bitdefender Total Security on my two HTPC machines. But it's a well-understood defect that seems simple enough to fix in the Central web registration software.

Please assign an engineer to fix this. It's been broken long enough and should be embarrassing to the webmaster.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hello,

We are aware of this situation and it is currently under investigation by our development team. At this moment we do not have an ETA for the fix.