Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Very slow internet using VPN

Options
Coffee999
Coffee999
edited February 2022 in VPN

I have been testing the BD VPN, and I want to like it.....BUT,

I have gig speed. On one wired desktop computer with speeds normally at 950mbps, VPN takes it down to 50-100. My second WIFI desktop normally hits 250mbps, VPN takes it down to single digits. This can not be right? Anyone? Thank you.

Comments

• LJZ3
    Options

sounds pretty reasonable to me. from what i understand of how vpn works and traffic loads around web. i'm not an expert, though. i notice zero difference on vpn with 12mb/s cable modem connection.

• Glen
    Options

I have the same experience. Just installed VPN premium and my wifi download speed dropped from 250 mbps to 20 mbps. If I turn off VPN, the speeds go back up. What is up?

• Coffee999
    Coffee999
    edited April 2020
    Options

Right Glen I agree. There is no doubt that VPN slows things down. I have read you might lose 30-40%. Even that is a little hard to stomach. But what I see most of the time is 70-80% decrease or more, on the fastest server I can find in the list. And on my second desktop where 250 Mbps is normal, single digits is hard to take and really makes the operation sluggish. So even through the constant efforts to always make your computer as fast as possible but you want that protection, you have to wonder if it's worth causing yourself the slow speeds and be better protected, or take the chance and have the fastest speed you can muster and play the odds that no ones will cause you trouble. Unless there are other factors to losing this much speed that I'm not aware of which is the reason for my question. Does BD ever chime in these discussions?

• BossTrucker
    Options

I had the same issue running another vpn. i found the further away from my home i chose, the slower my speed. i started choosing sites in my area to get my speed back and it worked.

• What is the solution for this by Bitdefender?

• TechStu
    edited February 2022
    Options

I run fibre and very high end gear, 900d 550u , with vpn on 400d 200u, It dosnt actually affect what we do unless I have multiple streaming going on,but it just mentally pisses me off, how can a premium product effect performance this bad ? But in reality it is very secure ..

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello,

The Bitdefender VPN is designed to offer you a light experience while surfing the web; however, your internet connectivity or the server distance you connect to may cause a slowdown. In this case, if it is not a must to connect from your location to a faraway hosted server (e.g. from the USA to China), we recommend you to allow Bitdefender VPN to automatically connect you to the nearest server, or find a server closer to your current location.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I have 500 Mbps service, and VPN has not been previously been an issue since I started with it more than a year ago. But the past couple of weeks it's been absolutely hideous: Streamed media and videos constantly buffering, LOOOONG connect times to web sites etc. I noticed this was after the last BD update. I made sure our devices were all up to date on fixes/updates, no effect on performance. I confirmed with Ookla Speedtest that there is about a 50% "normal" reduction when VPN is activated. But I also see a LOT of 90% (or more) momentary reductions in speed now too. Any relief in sight???

• Hello @networthy,

There can be multiple causes behind this. As mentioned in my post above, one of the possible causes can be the server distance. But a more detailed investigation of the machine is required, to know for sure.

I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams to provide them with the following information:

• The OS on which the VPN is running;
    • If the slowdown occurs on a specific location or all locations;
    • The VPN version you are using;
    • If you are using standalone VPN or VPN in BMS
    • Whether the problem occurs only on mobile data or only on wifi or present on both. Preferably try multiple networks

You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

• dverted
    dverted ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, I just moved over to BDVPN as it is now part of my subscription. I have a high speed 950 Mbps download connection but when switching on BDVPN it drops to 300 Mbps. This is a huge drop. Is Bitdefender going to fix up their servers for Australia. Thanks

• I like Bit Defender but because of the horrific Premium VPN speed problem which every one seems to have, from what I read, and the help people say is normal, will switch to the competition when my contract expires.

Last test: 325mp drops to 55mp

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@dverted @Hament

Hello.

Check out this article:

and see if the steps in the article will help you.

Regards.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @dverted t@Hament and thanks for tuning in.

There is indeed a significant drop, but the engineers noticed that it only occurs for some users who have extremely high-speed internet. It's work in progress and the VPN teams are going to fix it soon.

Regards

• dverted
    dverted ✭✭✭
    Options

My connection speeds (I was trying to include images but a note came up "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links". Piffle!!):

VPN Off: Ping 2 - Download 916Mbps Upload 39Mbps

Bitdefender VPN On: Ping 7 - Download 297Mbps Upload 41Mbps

Nord VPN On: Ping 6 - Download 746Mbps Upload 39Mbps

Huge difference between Bitdefender and Nord.

I bought the Bitdefender Premium product wanting to have security, VPN and password manager all in one. If Bitdefender can't fix this speed problem then I'll have to go back to Nord.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @dverted,

This will be fixed for sure. Check if you can insert pictures in your comments now, as I have updated your user permissions.

Regards

• klemann
    Options

The problem is still not fixed after more than 7 months. My cabled internet speed is still 150Mbps instead of about 930 Mbps. When will this problem be fixed Bitdefender???

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @klemann,

This behavior has been encountered on Windows only and it's usually tied with high-speed internet. The investigation is ongoing and last week a fix has been found. However, it must undergo testing and if everything goes according to plan, the VPN development teams should release it on the market within the next two weeks.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards

• Ed Metzler
    Ed Metzler DNS and Premium VPN slowdown
    Options

I see a 20x Internet download speed slowdown when using Bitdefender premium VPN. I am wondering if this is a DNS issue. My question is this, when Bitdefender VPN selects a VPN server, do I get the DNS settings associated with that particular server? Or does Bitdefender use their own DNS settings which is, apparently, highly loaded? It is very frustrating to suffer an order of magnitude slowdown. It smells like crappy DNS server choices. So help here, please.

• Ed Metzler
    Ed Metzler DNS and Premium VPN slowdown
    Options

By the way, this performance issue is on iPad and iPhone.

• dverted
    dverted ✭✭✭
    Options

When will this issue be fixed up by Bitdefender. Seven months since I brought it up and still not fixed. The drop in download speeds when I switch VPN on is outrageous. If other products don't have this problem why can't Bitdefender fix it up. Helloo Bitdeferder ??????

• ErwinS
    ErwinS
    edited August 2023
    Options

Recently, i have purchased a 1 Gb internet connection subscription from Ziggo in the Netherlands(local ISP). With a cable connected directly on my modem Bitdefender premium VPN slows down the download speed to 450 Mbps on https://www.speedtest.net. Without Bitdefender premium VPN the download speed is 940 Mbps. I have followed the instruction on https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/82366/, nothing helps.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @ErwinS,

Work is currently being carried out on the VPN infrastructure to address this isolated issue. A new software development kit, also known as SDK will be subject to an elaborate testing process that will ensure proper functionality when released. The VPN unit expects to have this upgrade ready within the upcoming weeks and if the testing phase goes as planned, the fix should be available soon.

Regards.

• ErwinS
    Options

Thanks for your quick reaction @Alexandru_BD , i will wait for the fix

• dverted
    dverted ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the update @Alexandru_BD. Lets hope it doesn't drag on too much longer. I'm using another VPN that doesn't have this problem, which runs out end of year and don't want to have to renew it. I'd rather use the Bitdefender VPN product that I have already paid for in my subscription but at the moment it's not worth it.

• henrik63
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have this issue right now and it's almost impossible to use the VPN even for browsing internet when using mobile network. Very bad performance so I'm thinking of stop using it....

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @henrik63,

The VPN developers are making continuous efforts to release the latest kit containing the fix this week, but I cannot guarantee that the required testing will be concluded by Friday. Nevertheless, this should get resolved soon.

Regards,

Alex

• dverted
    dverted ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Alex @Alexandru_BD. Any update on the VPN fix. Keen to get this issue sorted so I can start to use the product. Thanks

• The user is facing a major slowdown in download speeds (20 times slower) while using Bitdefender Premium VPN and suspects a DNS-related problem. They are uncertain whether Bitdefender adopts the DNS settings of the chosen server or relies on its own DNS, which may be highly loaded. The pronounced slowdown hints at issues with DNS server selection, particularly affecting website loading times. They are looking for help to address this issue.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello,

As far as I know, improvements are on their way for this exceptional behavior and the fix shoud be deployed next week. If the teams encounter further delays, I will post an update on the thread. Again, this is something that some users have experienced when using the VPN with high-speed internet. The new SDK will resolve the issue.

Regards,

Alex

• tarapwahs
    edited November 2023
    Options

The user is facing a major slowdown in download speeds (20 times slower) while using Bitdefender Premium VPN and suspects a DNS-related problem. They are uncertain whether Bitdefender adopts the DNS settings of the chosen server or relies on its own DNS, which may be highly loaded. The pronounced slowdown hints at issues with DNS server selection, particularly affecting website loading times, I also encounter this problem on my blog site. They are looking for help to address this issue.

• ErwinS
    Options

Dear @Alexandru_BD,

Unfortunately in time, i can only read about promisses and experience no improvements regarding the speed issues. I have decided to switch to another vpn provider.

Kind regards,

Erwin

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @ErwinS,

I'm sorry to hear this. For what is worth, a major update has been recently released for the Bitdefender VPN on Windows and it includes download speed improvements. Should you decide to give it another try in the future, here's the changelog for the new build:

Regards

• dverted
    dverted ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Alexandru_BD How do I update Bitdefender VPN on my PC. I have version 25.7.0.1 and want to update to the 26.1.0.3 to see if the slow speed issue is fixed. Thanks

• dverted
    dverted ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Alexandru_BD  Sorted. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the new version from the Bitdefender website. I was dropping from around 900 down to 300 for download speed using BDVPN. With the update I'm now getting just on 700 download speed. Would have liked it closer to 900 but I can live with 700. Thanks to Bitdefender for listening to our concerns and fixing the problem. Cheers

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @dverted,

I just saw your latest comments. I'm glad to hear the issue has been resolved for you and I take this opportunity to thank everyone on this thread for your patience and understanding. I hereby confirm the situation was fixed earlier in November and should you encounter any network slowdown in the future, please refer to this article first, and if the issue persists, the Support teams will do their best to help you out.

Regards,

Alex