When the web protection is turned on, my skype and whatsapp calls are blocked

veli
veli
edited January 2022 in Mobile Security

I've just installed mobile security on my iphone and ipad and activated web protection as it is included in my bitdefender total subscription.

When the web protection is turned on, my skype and whatsapp calls are blocked. Turning web protection off solves this problem. I assume these are trusted apps to access camera and microphone.

How can I use web protections and also keep my regularly used apps such as whatsapp, skype, discord etc... Can't find any settings for this issue in my devices.

Here is the error message I get:

bitdefender mobile security ios couldn't place call because your iphone is connected to a wi-fi network that prevents whatsapp calls

Thanks,

Best Answer

Answers

• Jayakrishnan
    Jayakrishnan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Hello Veli,

When you turn ON web protection on Bitdefender, its actually turning ON VPN which automatically connects to a random county and routing all connections which provide more privacy, security and stealth.

WhatsApp has been banned, either temporarily or permanently, in 13 countries according to Freedom House:

• Bangladesh
    • Brazil
    • China
    • Egypt
    • Ethiopia
    • Jordan
    • Kazakhstan
    • Montenegro
    • Saudi Arabia
    • The Gambia
    • Turkey
    • Uganda
    • Zimbabwe

In some countries, WhatsApp’s voice-calling (VoIP) feature is often blocked while the rest of the app is left open. VoIP allows users to make voice calls over the internet, similar to Skype, which is also blocked in some countries. WhatsApp voice calls are blocked in:

• Azerbaijan
    • Bahrain
    • Morocco
    • United Arab Emirates
    • Uzbekistan

So it may be because the VPN gets connected to any of these counties, you are not able to connect whatsapp and skype. Try turning OFF VPN / web protection, reboot your iphone and turn it back ON.

You can select server location and country of choice: (Screenshots attached below)

Thanks and regards,

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

To add to reply provided by @Jayakrishnan ,

You may go forward and select the country manually in Bitdefender VPN, taking into action not to select the country where the services you are looking for is banned.

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hi Jayakrishnan,

I see your point but the issue is that I have purchased the Total Security option, not an explicit VPN service. It randomly connects to a VPN service, I can't select a specific server. If the issue is as you suggest, then the advertised mobile security that I purchased is pointless, useless in fact as what good is a tablet/phone if it can't make online calls? I was after a certain level of security in my pc and mobile devices (didn't necessarily want VPN connection), and camera/microphone protection sounded good, but completely blocking the use of these devices just because the service somehow connected to an unfree state is rather bizarre. I am still hoping that this was an iOS issue that can be solved with some tweaks in the settings. I had no trouble using an android device skype with web protection turned on.

Thanks for your reply,

Regards, Veli

• Hello guys,

I have looked into the case and it seems that the situation is caused by an issue which has already been acknowledged by our development team.

We are currently working on a fix which will be done by means of automatic update and won't require any additional action on your end.

• Thanks for the update Alex, I’ve actually updated two days ago Version 3.3.0 and realized that it fixed the issue on my phone regarding WhatsApp and Skype. Haven’t had the chance to test discord and those apps on my tablet yet, but seems like they will work fine.

Best regards,

Çağlar

• Good day...

Just got the Bitdefender Mobile Security, version 3.3.0 update...

It says I "CAN ONLY/MUST" use VPN and Webprotection "alternatively"...

Does this mean that, on my iPhone or iPad, I could use Web Protection WITHOUT being (automatically) re-directed to a VPN?

It also says: "Web Protection relies on a VPN connection."

Could anyone please explain what's the difference between :

• Turning On Web Protection

and

• Turning On VPN

Thank you very much. Kind regards. learner . . .

• Flexx

Hi Member

1) Web Protection - Deals with blocking of malicious & phishing websites and stops them from opening.

2) VPN - Allows you to securely browse over the internet without leaving a trace. Turning VPN on or off is your choice. If you turn the VPN off, you will be surfing with your ISP (Internet service Provider) IP address, this way you can be tracked easily. Turning on VPN will change your IP with the one you will choose from the list of countries available in the VPN Software.

*NOTE: Turning on VPN may or maynot slow down your Internet Speed, so it is advisable, when turning on VPN, kindly set it to automatic, so that it hardly affects your surfing speed.

If this helps, kindly click on accepted /agree

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

• Thank you for your reaction Flex,

Thanks for explaining that:

1) Web Protection - Deals with blocking of malicious & phishing websites and stops them from opening.

I would like that very much... So far, so good . . .

However, I am not sure if I understand correctly if really: "Web Protection relies on a VPN connection." or not...

Because, with this statement of BitDefender, when I want to turn on Web Protection only, apparently VPN will have to (be) turn(ed) on as well (wether I want the VPN or not) as Web Protection relies on it...

Looks to me as a paradox... ;-)

Kind regards, learner . . .

• Flexx

Web protection works independent of VPN service. It is not necessary to enable VPN service to activate web protection.

For example, Bitdefender web protection works independent of VPN in PC, MAC, Android and so should in IOS.

If in your case it is causing any issue and web protection is not working without the use of VPN , then I would request you to to kindly drop an email to bitdefender support at bitsy@bitdefender.com ,since it may be a bug issue. Response time may vary due to less staff and covid19.

Regards

Flex