Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Microsoft Outlook 2003 Does Not Close Correctly In Xp Sp3

Options

G'Day Folks,

In another topic we discussed Outlook Express (part of Internet Explorer functions) and we seem to be having similar issues with Microsoft Outlook 2003 (part of the Microsoft Office 2003 Suite)

!!! - please do not confuse the issues as the Outlook eMail programs are different in behaviour (behavior) and function.

The problem is that using BDIS and or BDTS 2009 (also occurs in 2008 versions) the Microsoft Outlook 2003 does not close and stays resident as a TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) active program on the right hand side of the "Start Bar"

This can obviously be closed using the Task Manager, however it gets to be a pain in the rear having to do this all the time.

Microsoft Outlook 2007 does not appear to have this problem, i.e. the machine we use it on closes correctly with either 2008 or 2009 versions of BDIS or BDTS installed.

This however is not true in all instances as our customers have reported the same error which we fixed by either or both, repairing the Office and or BD installation. Unfortunately there was no president in which we repaired 1st as in some instances repairing either one, fixed the problem.

It should be noted that this problem of Microsoft Outlook 2003 (or other versions) not closing on XP machines is not restricted to being caused by BitDefender programs as other Internet Security suites like Norton, Kaspersky, McAfee and others have been reported as causing the same problem and these type of programs are listed among the most likely to do so i.e. cause the Microsoft Outlook not to close correctly.

Searching for "Microsoft Outlook 2003 does not close" will reveal 1000's of reports concerning this issue, all much saying the same thing, however no definitive answers to solve the problem. Where there are utilities that will do the job, i.e. close MS Outlook (any version) for you, it is however not the way to solve the problem caused by the Internet Security suites. (We tried these closers and would not recommend them !!)

Microsoft Outllok 2003 does not close

Again this has been an ongoing issue and also occurred in older versions of BitDefender.

Any suggestions for a fix ? - Please - Only reply if you have the answer to fixing this issue - thanks.

:ph34r:

Comments

• I heard about not bad application-outlook express fix

, tool that allows the user to recover lost messages from corrupted Outlook Express folders,extracts and saves the user's messages from files with the dbx extension that Outlook Express uses to store folders, messages and news on the local disk,can be used to reindex large *.dbx files, which helps Outlook Express to start working normally again.

• pcbugfixer
    Options

G'Day AlexKrenvalk,

Thanks for reply, but we are needing a fix for Microsoft Outlook 2003 / 2007 not Outlook Express.

However it is good to know about the utility / fix for Outlook Express.

• Niels
    Options

Hello pcbugfixer,

Here is some information what can be done to prevent it and also a possible cause.

Here another thing you might try.

Here is an utility that can close the outlook.exe process. I only found it so I can't say if it's working.

Another possible cause could be Activesync and an attached pda, smartphone so unplug or shut the pda or smartphone down.

Kind regards,

Niels

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited October 2008
    Options

G'Day Niels,

Thanks for the help - "been there did that" none work.

The first hyperlink goes to interesting detail but gets confused with too many comments and mixed up with 2007 off subject matters, nevertheless I did read it all with no resolve.

The 2nd hyperlink is a waste of time as it relates to Microsoft Outlook 2007 when it should be 2003 version to which I need a fix.

The third goes to a utility that is a utility and not a fix. KnockOut 1.3 KnockOut: Microsoft Outlook Companion Copyright © 2002 Jensen Harris for Outlook is a "Free" alternative which also includes a shut-down for MS Word and can be used in 2003 and 2007 versions of MS Office. Again not the solution and only a temp alternative to the bug fix we are looking for.

This problem does not occur on all PC's with Windows XP (any SP) Microsoft Outlook 2003 and BitDefender (2008 / 2009) installed. It just Happens that on this PC there is a conflict and I have looked at most if not all suggested other software conflicts, tried un-installing and re-installing in different sequences including the other suggested conflicts with the like of MS ActiveSync 4.5 etc, but the problem persists.

Will be interesting to find the cause and therefore the solution - if we can.

• Niels
    Options

Hello pcbugfixer,

Why did you said in a reply to AlexKrenvalk:

Thanks for reply, but we are needing a fix for Microsoft Outlook 2003 / 2007 not Outlook Express.
    You mentioned also 2007 so that is why I posted my 2nd link.

Here are some tools to fix a damaged .pst file:

pst-repair

Repair pst

Did you already let Outlook compress your .pst file?

Kind regards,

Niels