Bitdefender Security & VPN on Samsung S21 Ultra Android - Apps connect very slowly - why???

Hi there,

since I installed Bitdefender Security & VPN on my Samsung S21 Ultra Android, some apps like e.g. Surveillance cameras, various games very slowly or sometimes not at all. If I switch VPN off, then everything goes normally. It doesn't matter whether I'm at home (Fritz Box with Repeater 2400) or in the office (Router Zyxel Speedlink 5501 with WLAN), the problems remain. Before that I had Kaspersky on it and no such long delays and crashes. What can I do or what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Comments

• Hello @hanswurst and welcome to the Community!

Does the problem occur only on mobile data or only on wifi or present on both? Try multiple networks and see if the connection improves. Are you using the latest version of Bitdefender? Does the problem occur on a specific location or all locations?

Possible internet speed slowdowns when using VPN can occur. Depending on the distance between you and the location/server you choose to connect to, some speed penalty is expected, however, it's almost always sufficiently small that it goes unnoticed during normal online activity. If you are using the Premium VPN version, you can try to switch locations and see if the connection improves.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• hanswurst
    hanswurst
    edited March 2022

Thank you for your quick response. As far as I can judge now, the problem exists with mobile data as well as wifi - so it always exists. But... sometimes the apps connect normally... I would say that out of 10 attempts, 2 attempts are normal, the rest are too slow. I sent you version 3.3.164.1965 - is this the latest version? and... bitdefender doesn't update automatically or get a message when there is a newer version? I always react immediately to news in the dashboard (central). I've tried changing the locations ... it's just much easier and more practical to leave the setting on automatic ... but I'm happy to test it.

edit: I just tested it - location doesn't matter - always the same problem. The connection is only established IMMEDIATELY if the vpn is off...

• ok...so again...wifi or mobile data - the problem always remains, also when i change localition. If I turn off vpn completely, then everything runs normally. What options do I have if I don't want to switch off vpn completely, but want certain apps to start securely and stably? Actually I was really looking forward to bitdefender... unfortunately it hasn't been a good start so far... I hope these problems can be solved soon...

• Hello @hanswurst,

If the option to update automatically is enabled, the latest version will be applied. This is my setup, for example:

The current version of Bitdefender was released on March 24, 2022. The build number is 26.0.14.62 and includes the latest bug fixes and performance improvements.

If your Bitdefender doesn’t have the same build number, keep in mind that product updates are rolling out gradually to all customers, and your PC may not have the live build just yet. Once the staged rollout update reaches 100%, it is automatically downloaded and installed. Then, Bitdefender will recommend a Windows restart to get the latest benefits included in the new version:

In regards to the connectivity fluctuations, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. This way, the engineers can gather logs from you and have a closer look at the issue, as it's a bit difficult to estimate what could be the culprit here, based on the information available so far..

You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Best regards.

• You can try split tunneling when using VPN.

Access more options, tap the gear icon ⚙︎ in the upper-right hand corner (this screenshot might be a bit outdated):

Then choose which apps and websites to bypass the VPN with Split Tunneling.

Split Tunneling allows you to route any website or application outside the VPN connection, to access the Internet directly. This feature is available for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. So I'm thinking maybe you can whitelist the surveillance aps and games as well, so that they are not filtered with the VPN, thus avoid slowdowns.

Let us know if that helps.

Cheers.

• Hi Alexandru

sorry for my late feedback ... currently I'm a bit stressed.

OK - thanks for your answer and help. So far I have on all PC'S and mobile devices

the latest version is running (7 PC's & 2 mobile Android devices).

Thanks also for the link to support - I'll be happy to do that, because my problem exists

unfortunately still - sometimes also on the PC's, but there in no case so violently .. there it is always

only short delays, which I also had with Kaspersky before.

Thanks also for the tip with split tunneling! The connections now work better for the marked apps,

however, the problem is unfortunately still there. Often I have to switch off the vpn completely, then everything works.

I have 3 more questions for you:

1) you know, I have the FRITZ BOX 7590 and 2 WLAN Mesh Repeater 2400 in my house - maybe there are settings here

who could be responsible for my problem?

2) if I use "Split tunneling", then the marked apps run completely without VPN???

3) Another example ... I use a vacuum robot with an app. Since I've been using Bitdefender (VPN), it loses the connection to the WLAN at some point and can no longer find his way around the house. I assume that's how it is with the cell phone and all other apps .... the cell phone loses the WLAN connection and then has problems reconnecting - why?

thank you so much ...

• hanswurst
    hanswurst
    edited April 2022

Hi Alexandru,

is there another forum for bitdefender that is a bit better frequented? I have the feeling that there is not much activity here ...

• Hello @hanswurst,

In regards to the FRITZ BOX 7590 and 2 WLAN Mesh Repeater 2400, I cannot pronounce myself, as I am not familiar with the two. Split tunneling will bypass the VPN connection. I think the best way to move forward would be to get in touch with the Technical Teams, so they can start an in-depth troubleshooting process to find the culprit.

This is the main Community for Bitdefender users and last month we had 1,359 comments and 484 new discussions on the forum. We currently have more than 150k members enrolled.

I hope the situation gets resolved as soon as possible.

Stay safe.