Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

BDSERVICEHOST is killing my laptop

Options

For months I have been cursing the performance of my laptop. It's been taking upwards of 30 minutes after powering up before it would even start to be useful. Today I wasted an hour waiting to open an excel file.

Not being interested in what the laptop is doing - I just want to use it - I have today finally taken the plunge and found that bdservice is hogging the biggest chunk of my memory. I then research online and find myself here - with lots of reports from others of similar problems - going back 2 years !!

I also found the hack to go and momentarily switch off the antivirus and the advanced threat. WOW - I had completely forgotten that this old laptop was ever so fast -it's like lightning !!!

Why on earth has this not been fixed ! Is BitDefender full of computer geeks with superfast PC's that never get rebooted and so never have to worry about rubbish like this ? What about real users! OK so I have found a hack that helps a lot - but why should I? My wife who also uses this laptop sure is not going to be interested in messing around like this.

Is there a proper fix available?

Comments

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @SMP and welcome to the Community!

There are several possible causes and the most efficient way to determine the culprit is to send logs to our engineers for troubleshooting. After installing a security software, the computer will slightly slow down, which to a certain degree is normal. If you notice a significant slowdown after installing your Bitdefender protection, there are a couple of things to check first:

1. Multiple antivirus programs

The most probable cause of the situation is that Bitdefender is not the only security program installed on the system.

During the setup, Bitdefender searches and prompts you to remove the security programs found on the system. Having more than one security solution installed on the same PC will cause slowdown, incompatibility issues, and the normal action of either one of them is not guaranteed. This is why we recommend our customers to remove any other antivirus programs they may use before installing Bitdefender.

2. System Requirements

If you removed all the other security solutions from the computer but the PC is still slow, make sure system requirements for running Bitdefender are met. 

If your machine does not meet the system requirements, the computer will become sluggish, especially when multiple applications are running at the same time. You can find here the system requirements for running Bitdefender.

3. Unused programs

Any computer has programs or applications that are not used. And many unwanted programs run in the background, taking up disk space and memory. If you do not use a program, uninstall it. This is also valid for any other pre-installed software or trial software you forgot to remove.

Note: If you suspect a program or an application to be an essential part of your operating system, do not remove it and contact Bitdefender Technical Support for assistance. 

4. Data Corruption, hard disk fragmentation

There could be too many invalid registry keys left in your Windows Registry or your hard disk drives are too fragmented. 

Cleaning the Windows Registry can improve the performance of your system. Also, file fragmentation slows down file access and decreases system performance. Running the Disk Defragmenter can improve the performance of your system. You can find the steps to run Disk Defragmenter in this article.

5. Your system may be infected

Your system speed and its general behavior can also be affected by malware. Spyware, viruses, Trojans, and adware all take a toll on your computer’s performance. Make sure to scan your system periodically, at least once a week. It is recommended to use the Bitdefender System Scan because it scans for all types of malware threatening the security of your system.

To start the System Scan, follow these steps:

• open the Bitdefender window

• access System Scan

• follow the wizard steps

However, there might be other reasons behind this and if the root cause is not listed above, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

Stay safe.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user