Install new BD avfree to replace 2020 version

dniaak
edited May 2022 in Antivirus Free

Hello, I got an information pop-up asking me to update to the new av-free version of Bitdefender (was currently running a 12/2020 version). I clicked the "Download and install" button and the process went smoothly until the final window presented a "Create a new account" button. There was no option to log in with my already existing account so I clicked the Create new account button. The install window vanished and no "new account" page ever opened. I tried clicking the newly installed BD login icon in the system tray to activate the new av-free. It did not function. So I went to the www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html page and downloaded the latest av-free version for Windows and re-installed the program, to try to repair the installation I had already done. This did not work. I still had no way to activate the new anti-virus. I then uninstalled Bitdefender completely. I went from a perfectly functioning 2020 version to NO anti-virus simply for trusting the "download and install new version" request. Now what do I do?! Dan T. [d****k@yahoo.com]

(PS: I have no problem in signing in to my already existing account page.)

Best Answer

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Answer ✓

Kindly perform below steps & see if this helps you in anyway.

1) Uninstall the bitdefender product with add/ remove programs option in windows

2) To remove the remaining files download and run Bitdefender product uninstaller (https://www.bitdefender.com/files/KnowledgeBase/file/Bitdefender_2022_Uninstall_Tool.exe)

3) Restart PC in safe mode (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234)

4) As soon as desktop opens, assuming your windows drive is C, open below things in run (windows icon + R) command one by one :

C:\Program Files (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Program Files (x86) (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\ProgramData (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

C:\Users\{your pc name}\AppData\Local (delete any folder with name bitdefender)

5) Open run command again and run below command one by one :

temp ,delete all the files in the folder

%temp% ,delete all the files in folder

prefetch ,delete all the files in folder

6) Open registry editor through run command (windows icon + R) and then type regedit. Once registry editor opens, click on edit -> find, make sure to tick mark match whole strings only. Type bitdefender in search box and click find next. If any file or folder under name of bitdefender is found, delete it. Continue searching the registry and deleting until the search will report no registry keys found.

7) Restart your PC in general mode by unticking the option that you selected to run the system in safe mode and then click apply.

8) Remove devices from online bitdefender central (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2795/)

9) Download online installer for bitdefender free from https://download.bitdefender.com/windows/installer/en-us/bitdefender_avfree.exe

Once your respective bitdefender product is installed, a bitdefender dialogue box will open where you will need to login with your registered bitdefender online central details and after a successful login, your product will be synchronized with your online bitdefender central account. Henceforth, your product will get registered & activated with online bitdefender central automatically.

If issue persists, generate bitdefender logs (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/)

Share the logs & your query with bitdefender support team by dropping them an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

Firts of all, only Bitdefender staff can have access to your Bitdefender Central account.

So, first, take screenshot(s) of the issue and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail here (scroll down to the bottom of the page):

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Also, you could wait for an answer to your question by @Alexandru_BD or @Mike_BD, since they both work at Bitdefender.

Regards.

• I just wanted to say thank you to Cosmin T, Thomas44, Gjoksi for their kind assistance. Especially, I want to thank mrmirakhur whose excellent, detailed process, after two complete uninstalls and re-installs, finally enabled me to load and activate the new version of BD avfree, which is running without any problem. Bless the BD community forum and thanks again! And thank you Bitdefender for your great software.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited June 2022

Nice to know that your issue has been resolved 🙂

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thank you @dniaak for the kind words! Really happy to hear the situation was resolved. Appreciate your follow-up.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user