Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Why am I getting "update error -2023" on one of my 20 machines?

Just started happening earlier this morning: "update now" fails with error -2023.

I cannot find any information on error -2023. BitDefender Central for my account shows this particular machine operating normally, with no issues or security alerts for quite some time.

What is error -2023? What does it tell me to do? It certainly is preventing product updates.

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

Here are some steps you can try that usually stop any other update errors in Windows:

• Try to update again at a later time.

• Restart the PC then check if the update succeeds.

• Connect the PC to another network:

A. If the updates are successful on other networks, the issue is with the default network configuration. Try changing the DNS and disabling 3rd party firewall programs.

B. If the update errors persist on other networks as well, uninstall and reinstall Bitdefender.

If Bitdefender still fails to perform updates, contact Bitdefender support.

Regards.

• Thank you for the suggestions. None of the potential fixes were really relevant, or accomplished anything. There's no way to move this PC to another network, so that idea is out.

There are two other PCs on the same home LAN and they both update just fine. And this problem PC was working fine until a couple of days ago.

I just decided to uninstall/reinstall, hoping that would be the extreme solution but would fix things. And sure enough it did. So all is well again. Don't have any idea what caused the problem.

For the future however I still didn't learn from you what "error -2023" is informing me of as to why the update failed? Also, is it an update failure attempting to obtain the normal periodic virus updates? Or is it an update failure attempting to obtain new software/engine product update?

Doesn't really matter much any more since the uninstall/reinstall made the error go away. But in case I see it again in the future exactly what is "error -2023" complaining about? Also, if its available where is a list of the various error codes that Bitdefender can put out, so that we can self-diagnose if possible?

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

Hi @DSperber

“But in case I see it again in the future exactly what is "error -2023" complaining about? Also, if its available where is a list of the various error codes that Bitdefender can put out, so that we can self-diagnose if possible”?

The only thing I have to offer is the link to the error codes. The specific error 2023, is not shown and maybe that list needs to be updated?

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hi @DSperber,

If you click on Update in system tray does the update succeed?

For how long did the issue occur? Since re-installing Bitdefender on that machine, since installing a certain program, since restoring the PC to a previous date, since experiencing some system or Bitdefender crashes?

Right click on the Bitdefender icon in the System Tray and select Update Now. Wait until the process is completed and let us know if the error persists.

This may have been a temporary connectivity issue. Bitdefender updates as soon as it manages to successfully download the update files.

Apart from this, Gjoksi summed it up here:

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited September 2022

@DSperber this is a known isolated issue that has been acknowledged by the developers. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Try to update after a restart and if this doesn't make the error go away, kindly contact the Support Teams to provide logs from the machine. They will advise accordingly.

You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact methods available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user