Severe memory leak in bdservicehost.exe - 100% repro

Hello,

I'm seeing a 100% repro memory leak in bdservicehost.exethat can be reproduced reliably after a reboot. I run on Windows 11 version 22H2, on a 8C/16HT Ryzen7 machine with 16GB RAM. Using Bitdefender Total Security, bdservicehost.exe file version is 26.0.28.92.

To repro it simply takes to build & run the LLVM unit tests. After the run, it can be observed that Bitdefender takes almost 13GB of commit. A second run of the LLVM unit tests kills the machine to a point where the tests don't complete or fail abnormally, and the machine becomes unresponsive.

To repro:

• Then get LLVM, git clone --config core.autocrlf=false https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git
  • Then, cd llvm-project && mkdir build && cd build
  • Then, cmake -GNinja ../llvm -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_OPTIMIZED_TABLEGEN=ON -DLLVM_ENABLE_LIBXML2=OFF -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS="llvm;clang;lld;clang-tools-extra;mlir" -DLLVM_ENABLE_ASSERTIONS=ON
  • Then, ninja check-all

After everything is compiled, and while the LLVM tests are running, observe in Process Explorer how the "Private Bytes" ofbdservicehost.exe is increasing monotonically. I think the whole situation is caused by the large number of processes that the LLVM tests are starting. Adding an exception for this specific folder does not solve the issue.

@Flexx are you able to help here please? Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

I was unable to reproduce the same issue.

Maybe the bitdefender developers can have a look into this.

Generate bitdefender support tool logs (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/)

Generate bitdefender connectivity logs (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/9689/)

Share the logs & your query with bitdefender support team by dropping them an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Mike_BD
    Mike_BD admin
    edited October 2022

Hello @aganea ,

Which instance of bdservicehost is : services\bdshieldsrv_config.json (vsserv) or services\bdauxsrv_config.json (bdauxsrv) ?

What are the LLVM tests doing? And in what situation would a user use them?

cheers,

Mike

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• aganea
    aganea
    edited October 2022

@Mike_BD It is the bdshieldsrv instance.

The LLVM tests are running LLVM binaries through python, to exercise a specific situation in the compiler. When using the above cmake command, it runs approx. 70,000 tests, each of which can invoke one, or up to several tens of LLVM binaries. I could trace with procmon.exe to see how many PE invocation the tests are triggering, but probably in the range of 300,000-400,000 invocations. For the vast majority those are very short runs (<1sec), the process starts, runs something, and then shuts down.

Those are essentially used by LLVM developers, it is not meant for end-users/developers. But I would imagine anyone compiling large C++ codebases like Unreal Engine or Chromium would end up hitting the same issue, if the issue is relative to starting/stopping that many processes.

• @aganea we've managed to repro, thanks a lot for sharing this with us. Indeed, while the situation might be relevant for only a handful of users, it's still relevant for our product as a whole and I confirm dev team is currently working on it.

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• @Mike_BD Thanks a lot for the quick feedback and the involvement! 😄