Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Removing a Profile

Options

I got the report about impersonations attempted. I have a profile on Checkmate - I would like to remove it, but I don’t know how. Any ideas that might help me?

Answers

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Oneheart and welcome to the Community!

Whenever Digital Identity Protection encounters a profile (usually from social networks) that has common elements with your identity but has not been confirmed to be yours, it will alert you about the possibility that a profile belonging to someone else is attempting to impersonate you. DIP will also display suggestions for actions to be taken.

The Impersonation check tab is where all possible attempts will be displayed.

For each detection, you can choose one of three possibilities:

A. It is an impersonation attempt

B. It is my profile

C. It is something else

Can you tell us if the above options are displayed for this profile? Have you ever registered with this entity? My recommendation would be first to check if indeed the profile is an impersonation attempt and secondly, to contact the provider and request the procedure to remove any data that belongs to you (if any) from their records.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• andpenn
    Options

You have three possible actions and then it asks you if you have removed the fake profile but, does not give instructions on how to remove.

1. how do you remove the profile?
    2. what if it is a legit profile with the same name ? Do you still remove the profile?
  • Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello @andpenn,

It's assumed that we can distinguish between an account we have created and one that's not ours.

An impersonated profile should look very similar to the original profile, but not created by the actual owner.

If you think you came across an impersonation, you should contact the DPO or the support of the respective company/service and provide them with the necessary details to prove your identity. This way, you can show that you really are the person in question and the impersonated account is causing you harm. It may be a long process, but if an impersonation is actually taking place, it's worth doing it.

The DIP service will not be able to claim your identity for you. It will raise awareness, but it calls for further action from you in some cases.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user