Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Critical windows update didn't start

I tried to install a 'critical windows update' that bitdefender found after a vulnerability scan, but nothing happened. I waited 1 hour. I have now clicked 'stop'. It seemed to be an update related to microsoft defender antivirus.

Did I do anything wrong by stopping it? I didn't get a warning to not stop it.

I tried to look up Microsoft Defender in the list of installed apps through settings, but I can't find it and when I look it up in the microsoft store it looks like I don't have it. I looked up my antivirus settings and it seems that microsoft antivirus is disabled. Does this have anything to do with why the update didn't start?

It seems like there's an option to activate microsoft defender virus and still use Bitdefender. Should I do that? Will it interfere negatively with BitDefender?

Tagged:

Answers

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

Hi @Adri91

When I see that in Bitdefender's vulnerability scan, I no longer use BD to install it. I use it as informational and manually go to Windows update and download and install it from there. Depending on the size and maybe even the type of update, I've found Bitdefender can be a bit hit-and-miss in that regard. Thus, I don't think there is a need to run a repair, as everything else functions properly.

In Windows 11, it's called Windows Security. When Bitdefender installs, it automatically disables Windows Security for its own. You can allow Windows Security/Defender to run a Periodic scan, which it will do when the pc isn't in heavy use. I've never had it on, as when it does its scan, Bitdefender will then be scanning those accessed files, too. I just don't like the idea of two scanners running at the same time, as I probably wouldn't be aware of when the Windows one may kick in and start scanning.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/