Why on earth doesn't BitDefender offer all notifications off?

ted333
edited April 2023 in General Topics

(I couldn't find the comment function of the article, so I'll continue writing it.)

I read the contents of all the discussions in the above article. However, no matter how hard I think about it, I don't see a good reason for not having the notification off feature. (Don't bring useless solutions such as changing profiles.)

Notifications in Bitdefender use their own features, which are different from the Windows feature, and cannot be disabled even if the user wants to.

Does it make sense that it's not a free service, and that users who pay to use it can't control the notification?

It's not even a very important notification. Why should I watch the notification in real time that a port scan was detected?

Such notifications are sufficient to receive daily or weekly reports.

These notifications appear at the very right-hand moment when I'm about to click the bottom-right, triggering a false click, and breaking all the concentration in concentration work or in games, watching movies, etc.

It seems as if a child wants to brag about everything he has done.

I'm buying a very small size main monitor separately so I don't see these gawky notifications, letting the notifications pop up on the main monitor, and then using a sub monitor.

I'm so sorry that I've used Bitdefender a few times and recommended it to my acquaintances. I was so sorry that I paid for them instead.

Why not improve this easy feature?

Are you really not aware of the inconvenience users feel with this notification?

All acquaintances (over 10 people) who have used this vaccine are expressing a hate level of displeasure with the notification feature.

Why isn't the marketing and strategy team accepting feedback?

Tagged:

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Kindly contact the bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ and scroll down to the bottom of the webpage where you can get in touch with support representative either by email, chat or over a call.

Alternativaely, you can also share your query with bitdefender support team by dropping them an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com

The support team will reply back to your query within next 24-48 hours excluding weekends.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited April 2023

Hello @ted333,

I'll jump in here and provide a bit more insight regarding in-product notifications.

There is an ongoing review process for the notifications and our developers are looking for ways to streamline the pop-up messages and warnings, especially the ones that are stealing focus, to further improve the manner in which the product communicates with the user. So, yes, the development teams are always happy to receive feedback and they'll put it to good use.

The actual problem, as reported by many users, is that some notifications interrupt user activity and steal focus by being too frequent. However, there are plans to improve this notification flow as much as possible and the developers have addressed some areas already, but I cannot say what will change and when, at the moment.

It's important to mention that most notifications in Bitdefender can be disabled. I will include a list below:

To customize your notification preferences, open Bitdefender program and do the following:

1. Settings -> General and disable "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications"

2. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan flash drives and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "USB Immunizer Recommendation" notification)

3. Privacy -> Safepay -> Settings and disable "Safepay notifications"

4. Privacy -> Video & Audio Protection -> Settings and disable "Notify when allowed applications connect to the webcam", "Notify when an application tries to access the microphone" and "Notify when browsers access the microphone"

5. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disable "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification)

More notifications can be personalized, but it's important to know exactly what type of notification is bothering you.

IMPORTANT: When a threat is detected, a pop-up notification will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen and you can't disable those pop-up notifications. The fact that various types of notifications were suppressed does not mean that the product will no longer communicate operation or detection issues. There are still many situations where the user must be aware of what is happening.

Whenever something relevant to the security of your system or data happens, such notifications play a key role in raising awareness of the events happening on the device and send assurances that the product is operating as expected. Options may be provided to take further action, if needed. Being a security product by design, it does not have a toggle to disable security-related notifications, as this would defy the whole purpose of having an interactive antivirus that provides feedback and alerts the user of any potential threats or attacks coming their way.

Furthermore, having such a feature could pose a risk for the more inexperienced users and may lead to unwanted security events or vulnerabilities. Taking all possible risks into consideration, but also technical implications involving the whole architecture of the solution that would require significant modifications, the security researchers and developers have decided that the antivirus will not have a feature to disable ALL security related notifications.

If, however, there is an unexpected and unnatural behaviour in the way the notifications are being displayed (and by this I mean a threat that is successively triggering a particular notification several times in a row), this is entirely a different story. The solution is not to disable the notifications entirely, but to find the root cause and see what threats are triggering the notification, to what extend and frequence, establish if there are any imminent dangers and address them and of course fix the unwanted behavior of the notification in the process.

I hope my explanations bring more clarity and insight and I am thankful for your understanding.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user