Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Messed up my user profile

Options

Hi, I installed BitDefender a few days ago, ever since then I have had issues with User Profile Service on windows, where it doesn't let me log in when I turn on my laptop, saying that there is an error with User Profile Service. After a restart, it will let me log in, but to a TEMP profile instead. I've been trying to check logs on Windows, and there seem to be several errors from User Profile Service:

Windows cannot unload your registry file. The memory used by the registry has not been freed. This problem is often caused by services running as a user account. Try configuring services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account. 

DETAIL - Access is denied.

User hive is loaded by another process (Registry Lock) Process name: C:\Program Files\Bitdefender\Bitdefender Security\bdservicehost.exe, PID: 3396, ProfSvc PID: 2432.

Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Windows was unable to load the registry. This problem is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights. 

DETAIL - Access is denied.
 for C:\Users\TEMP.AVIB.005\ntuser.dat

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Liobet
    Liobet ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi avob,

Welcome on the forum !

I find this helping process on internet. You could try it.

Or you could ask BD experts, although it looks much more a Windows than a BD issue.

Best regards,

L.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor3.40 GHz 32,0 Go [ Bitdefender Internet Security + VPN]

• avob
    Options

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I uninstalled BitDefender and that fixed the issue! I'm not exactly sure what was causing it. I haven't had the time yet to re-install it, but I'll give it a go and see if it starts showing up again. :) Hopefully, it's fixed.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @avob and thanks for joining us here.

Regarding the situation you have described, can you tell us if you encountered this behavior after an update, be it Windows or Bitdefender update, if it happened immediately after installation or after the update, and if Bitdefender previously detected any malware on your system or not? Should you reinstall Bitdefender, a Support tool log would prove very useful and may reveal further information that would help the engineers figure out what's happening on the device.

The following article shows how to create a debug log on your PC using Bitdefender Support Tool. This utility tool is used by the Bitdefender support team to diagnose and troubleshoot Bitdefender installation failures or product issues on Windows computers. The tool gathers logs and product usage information, necessary for further investigation:

After reinstalling Bitdefender and generating this debug log, head to the link below to get in touch with the Support teams for further investigation:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Scroll down to state your contact reason, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them. Once you have the case ID, kindly send me a private message with the number and I'll ask my colleagues to prioritize your request.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• avob
    Options

Hi,

I have yet to re-install BitDefender. At the moment, it's fine thankfully. I was hoping to do it this weekend when I get some time, and I will let you guys know if it occurs again.

Thanks

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Cheers @avob, thanks for following up here.

Sure, tell us how it goes.

• Mike_B
    Options

Just chiming in with the same issue today. I only considered the Bitdefender might be involved as it's the only thing I've installed recently. No recent Windows updates but system all up to date. Windows 10 on HP ZBook.

Same User Profile errors as above in the Applications Log.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Mike_B,

I would recommend to create a debug log on your PC using Bitdefender Support Tool and then get in touch with the Support teams for further investigation. See my above post for the full guidelines.

Regards,

Alex

• avob
    Options

Hey @Alexandru_BD,

I re-installed it, and it seems to be fine now. I had sent the logs a while back, but I totally forgot to reply to your email asking for a screenshot. I can't exactly provide the screenshot now as I can't replicate the problem, but it was simply a windows error ("The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded.") before logging in. If you would like to take a look at the logs, that would be great :)

I will notify this thread if it occurs again. Just another note, I might be completely wrong but I have a feeling that it started happening after I pressed the "fix now" on one of the "vulnerability detected" sort of notifications in the BitDefender app. I had cleared the notification panel so I am unable to find what I did. I tried searching through the logs myself, but didn't get far.😅

As far as what I did to solve this issue, I first managed log into my windows profile after a few restarts, then I fully uninstalled BitDefender and all its service and ran sfc scan and dism.

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

(on cmd as administrator)

@Mike_B Hope that can help temporarily :)

Thanks

• avob
    Options

Hi @Alexandru_BD,

The error has started occurring again. I will send my updated log to the existing support ticket.

Thanks

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi,

I understand.. yes, please send them an updated log so they can further investigate this.

Let us know what happens next.

Regards

• avob
    Options

Hi,

Just an update to this thread. They weren't able to help, unfortunately. They just sent me a bunch of videos for possible fixes (which I had already previously tried).

I've uninstalled BitDefender, as it's just too much of a hassle logging into my desktop, and I simply don't have the time to keep trying to re-install it. I'll stick with Windows Defender for now :) Hopefully, I can try again in a month or two and it magically starts working again.

Thanks anyway!

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @avob,

I'm really sorry to hear this..

Apparently, the logs did not reveal the root cause, at least not something which could indicate a direct link between the antivirus and the behavior you are encountering, as far as I can tell.

Did you also follow the steps from the thread below?

Regards,

Alex