Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Firewall exception not working

I am using Bitdefender Total Security 2018 and I can't get the firewall rules to work for my Synology NAS. I added the NAS IP to the network exceptions as demonstrated here: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2397/

Unfortunately, when I select the NAS in the Windows 10 network explorer I get the error that it couldn't be accessed. When turning the Bitdefender Firewall off then everything works ok.

Do you have another tip what I can try?

Comments

• arka
    arka
    edited March 2018

The strange thing is that it I can access the network drive when using the IP directly ('\\192.168.0.99') but not with its name. This seems still to be blocked somehow by Bitdefender. But the name is listed under 'Computers' in the network explorer of Windows. Any idea why this happens?

• Hi, 

Did you also set the adapters as home/office and the stealth mode to OFF as the article mentioned? If yes, does the issue persist after restarting the computer? 

• arka
    arka
    edited March 2018

Yes, I just double checked the settings. The NAS is still accessible in the network explorer by its IP address, but not by its name. The same thing when trying to ping it from the command line. When turning the Bitdefender firewall completely off both name and IP are accessible and pingable. Another tip? Seems to be that the name resolution is somehow blocked but not the NAS itself.

I also noticed that when I turn the firewall back on the NAS is still accessible by its name until I reboot, then only the IP is accessible again.

• Hi, 

The behavior is not intended, and we'd need additional logs to investigate what is happening. Can you send us an email at bitsy@bitdefender.com and reply back here to let us know you've sent it? Thanks!

• Ok, I sent you an Email, but haven't attached a log, because I don't know where to find it exactly.

• No worries, we've just sent you the instructions through email. Thanks again for helping us with this!

• xDanielx
    xDanielx
    edited March 2018

i have exactly the same problem here, i can't get to my Synology NAS whenever the firewall of this antivirus is turned on. its more than a month since this problem occur, but until now the bitdefender support team has no fix.. I've used previously the KASPERSKY av, no problem.. I feel like i made a wrong decision trying this bitdefender av.. i am very disappointed. really disappointed.

• I found out that when turning off the stealth mode for all adapters (even those ones not communicating with the private network and virtual ones) and switching the virtual adapters to home/office then the name resolution works again. This seems to me like an unnecessary restriction and complicated to find out. Maybe Bitdefender should overthink this configuration and make it easier for people to set up.

• xDanielx
    xDanielx
    edited March 2018

2 hours ago, arka said:

I found out that when turning off the stealth mode for all adapters (even those ones not communicating with the private network and virtual ones) and switching the virtual adapters to home/office then the name resolution works again. This seems to me like an unnecessary restriction and complicated to find out. Maybe Bitdefender should overthink this configuration and make it easier for people to set up.

did you make it work?can you restart your pc and do not open your network drive for about 20mins(bitdefender services loading) after restarting your pc...? see if it really work... i hope thats the fix..

• I observed it for a while and the problem I have that sometimes the stealth mode automatically turns on. I am not sure why. But with stealth mode off it seems to work for me. Even when waiting for 20 mins after a restart and Bitdefender is running.

• i really don't know what is going on with this software, i've experienced recently an accessible network drive like im experiencing right now.. but im not sure tomorrow. i mean, it keeps on coming.. i can access my drive for a day or two, then it will be blocked for how many days.. i did not have this problem with kaspersky, i think i just have to finish the subscription period of this software..

• So, how's your network drive. is it really working now? mine, just last only few hours, and the bitdefender team just don't know what to do. they always ask for a log from my pc.. this is very terrible experience..