Configure Box via network cable to laptop

SecCon
SecCon
edited January 2021 in Bitdefender box

So i just got my box and since I have a number of other network devices I thought the best thing to do is to just connect it to a laptop and go through updates and familiarize myself with the interface, as most of us do with any router, be that a consumer or a professional router.

But there is nothing in the instructions, not the default IP of the Box, nor any description of how to access its web interface?

I understand the manual is supposed to be simple, but I kinda need to do this before connecting it to my network.

Comments

• The BOX is only configurable from the iOS or Android app. It does not function like a typical appliance where you find the local IP and log into a web page. Once configured, some settings can be done through the Bitdefender web portal AFTER the initial setup. For the most part, "advanced" configuration must be done through the mobile app while at home on the same network as the BOX. Basic configuration can be done remotely.

• Thanks for the reply but I have returned the box.

I received a reply from support that they do not support the product in my country and would not respond to similar questions I posted as a support ticket. At the same time they do not stop retailers from selling to unsopported markets and technically speaking these is just no difference between one country or another, network protocols and all that stuff is a global standard.It is all very silly and I will change to another brand for all my licenses.

• That's unfortunate that Bitdefender wouldn't support the device. You're right, rules for networking are the same no matter where you are.

Bitdefender is a great mature AV product, but they are still complete novices with the hardware portion and in-line filtering setup on any type of networking outside the BOX unit itself.

There is such thing as TOO user friendly. They've stripped out all of the functional and informative components for an over-simplified UI. Great for complete novices to put the BOX in place of anything they already have. Horrible for those who have invested in any robust prosumer setup at home and is being told to toss it out for the Bitdefender BOX to take over completely.

• I actually got a bit lucky, found a secondhand latest model "normal" firewall from another brand at a great price and with the licens for Intrusion Detection in addition to that, it will cost me a bit more but not much.

The more tricky part is more hands on and less simplicity, but I will have to deal with that.

I expect more products like Box to appear on the market with more AI and less complexity for the benefit of all that have no degree in networking. They just need a bit more time.