Continually signing into Password Manager

2»

Answers

• I updated to Password Manager to use MS Edge. I agree this issue is a pain.

Any update on getting this resolved?

• Hello @Dave T,

A fix for this Password Manager behavior is still undergoing development.

Could you please tell us what browser is affected (and if all or some work) and if it doesn’t work at all, or sometimes it worked? This would be very helpful.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I am not very "technical" so much of this is a bit above my head. But I am coming up for renewal on Password Manager in January and I am also as frustrated as many others that this issue about constantly signing in (I use Chrome mostly but also have it on Firefox) even with the "remember me" box checked. I would like to sign in when I start up and not have to sign again until I reboot the next morning. It WILL remember me IF I leave the browser open but I don't always remember to do that and many times I don't bother signing in unless I plan on purchasing something or banking ... which defeats the purpose of having it.

I would have thought that after a year (and since I know that people were complaining about this after I had just purchased in Jan 22) this would have been handled by now.

And the other BIG objection I have is opening a browser, starting to search and having another tab open (popping me out of my original browser) to make me sign in to PW manager. Is there something I am missing and can I remove that option (since I already have an icon beside my address bar)? I object less to signing in than I do to that darned tab always popping open!

I am definitely pondering the idea of even renewing.

Thanks

• Working fine on mobile phones as you can use fingerprints. On pc's It's a real pain .... Remember me option is like my grandma's late alzheimer situation. staying 24hrs open after one correct password 'd be appreciated instead of every single time i open a web browser.

• I just want to remove Password Manager from my computer. It is very annoying to come up every time you change of go to another page on a web site. Sometimes I have thought of removing Bitdefender completely from my computer and going to another Virus software. I have been with Bitdefender for several years, but this is driving me crazy. So, how do you remove or shutdown Password Manager?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
  • I have found that recently my Password Manager is working the way I was expecting it to. YEAH! I don't have that extra window popping up and when I have checked the Remember Me it IS! NOW, I was going to just renew Password Manager but I have been offered a different package that includes that with the VPN and the basic security and I want to do that. The problem is that I still have the basic until October. So now I need to know how to get that special offer and still not lose my basic to October. Seems a little more complicated than just basic renewal. Anyone have ideas or where I should post this? Thanks

• I have found lately that the Password Manager has been staying logged in a bit longer then it had been in Google Chrome. I hope that this is due to a fix of this issue after such a long time. I will keep monitoring and see if it is for real or just a fluke. Hope it's for real.

• Hi @Lffbd,

It's work in progress, please do keep us updated on the behaviour, as the fix is still being tested on the supported browsers and the developers are getting closer to a resolution.

Regards

• This was from a January 18th Reply from support on the issue of requiring me to sign in everytime i open chrome.

Thank you for your patience please accept my apologies for the frustration that we might have caused.

I have looked into the case and it seems that the situation is caused by an issue that has already been acknowledged by our development team. We are currently working on a fix that will be done by means of an automatic update and won't require any additional action on your end.

I will get back to you with an update regarding the fix as soon as we have one.

I understand Alexandru_BD admin has noted the development teams investigation into the matter since October 2022. Seems no good progress has been made

I am interested in what other paid password managers you guys have switched to since the development team does not seem to be effective at fixing known issues for over a year!

Has anyone tried Dashlane and Bitwarden?

What has the experience been like? feel free to bring up other competitors that do the job better to! i am intending to switch next month!

• dverted
    dverted ✭✭✭

Having to put the Master Password in every time I start a new browser session on my desktop PC is very frustrating. LastPass only does this when first logging in to my PC and then doesn't ask for it until the next time I start my PC and log in again. With BDFPM I have a complicated password that I have no hope of remembering so I have put a copy of this password into a note under a desktop icon and have to copy and paste it into BDFPM each time I open a browser session. Frustrating!!

It's even more frustrating on a mobile. Lastpass uses fingerprint login. Surely BDFPM can also put this in their app too.

I purchased the Bitdefender Premium product with the intent of using security, VPN and password manager under one product rather than using 3 different branded products and different renewal dates. The VPN has its own problems which I have raised in a different post. I'll give it a go for awhile longer but if things don't improve with the password manager and VPN then I'll be moving back to the other products.

• I just installed Bitdefender Total Security on our desktop, windows 11.

Every time I log into either our email or Firefox, a second windows appears and is asking that i sign into our password manager? The other tab is the one I wanted. Why???

Why does the master login appear every time I open an icon on my desktop???

This is very frustrating.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited February 2023

Hi @Mrsdolamiti

Please confirm that when you log in, to the tick the Remember me box. Also, to keep Password Manager from opening a new tab, once logged in, on the left hand side -> Settings/General and check the box, "Disable login tab at startup" and see if those setting help.

Kind regards,

Scott

edit:sp

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Just doing a follow up on this issue. I've recently started using the Password Manager and are too having troubles with the "Remember Me" function of the extension. Upon closing Google Chrome, I am required to relogin again when I relaunch Google Chrome.

Granted this means greater security, I'm wondering if there is a fix or work around to this? It would be handy just to have the option.

• Hi @TheDGI,

Have you already done this and it still requires to login?

Regards

• TheDGI
    TheDGI
    edited March 2023

G'day mate - yeah, I've got that box ticked for tab disabled aswell as the "Remember Me" one when I first login. Close the browser, gotta login in again.

I tried re-installation of the extension and it's now working. Silly me - should have thought of that sooner. Ty for your response.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alexandru_BD

Mate, as far as i remember this is not the first time a user compalins about the continually signing into Password Manager issue on Google Chrome.

So, there must be some kind of possible conflict between Password Manager and Google Chrome.

Regards.

• Hi,

@Gjoksi you are right, our developers could reproduce this behavior and the situation is still under investigation. It has been noticed that, even though the “Remember me” box is ticked, when reopening the browser, the master password is requested again.

While it worked for a while after reinstalling the extension, the tests revealed that the login issue started occurring again, but only on Chrome and Firefox. So we are waiting for a permanent fix for this.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards.

• I sincerely hope this will be fixed soon, because I would never have bought Bitdefender Password Manager had I known that I am required to fill in a password every single time I open my Firefox browser. I bought this Password Manager to make my life easier, not harder. 😕

• After a couple of days of "pondering and research" this was the solution for me (well it looks like it works)

• Hello,

I'll share with you a couple of insights on how the 'Remember me' feature actually works:

'Remember me' is displayed at the screen asking for the master password.

After checking it, you will not be required to enter the master password, as you will be logged in automatically.

Using 'Remember me' does not mean that you will never have to use the Master Password again. As it is easy to forget the master password, and due to the security concerns in case the device gets lost or stolen, the user will remain logged in for 72 hours, after that the master password will be asked for again. However, if you are using the browser or the application actively every day, the 72 hours window gets refreshed every 24 hours.

If you have inactivity lock with logout option enabled, then it is normal for the password to be asked again, since you are completely logged out of the account.

On mobile devices, the user is still required to enter PIN/biometrics, to ensure the device is in the correct hands. Note: If there are any security concerns about “Remember me’, you can use Inactivity lock with PIN unlock. This way, you can still use “Remember me”, but the extension will be locked when inactive, as an extra layer of security.

Now, there are a couple of questions to ask before concluding that the feature doesn't work as expected:

• Was the 'Remember me' box checked when logging in?
    • Did you log out manually from Password Manager? – if yes, that’s normal.
    • How long ago did you check 'Remember me'? – the feature is time limited to 72 hours.
    • Did you use the “Secure me” feature targeting the device with the issue? – if yes, that’s normal, as you were logged out.
    • Did you enable Inactivity lock with logout option? - if yes, as mentioned above, that is normal as you were logged out.
    • On mobile devices, are you asked for the master password, or PIN/biometrics? If PIN/Biometrics is requested, that’s normal, this is asked for to ensure the device is in the correct hands.

I hope the information is helpful.

Regards

• I'm new to BD, and have spent most of the last twelve hours installing and troubleshooting the premium package that includes VPN and Password Manager. These seem to be working in my iOS devices but not on my brand new Mac running Ventura 13.3.1 where I am also trying to integrate with Safari. Based on my research, these apps were supposed to be ready for Safari. My complaint is that Password Manager is not showing as an option for autofill. Dashlane is still there but there isn't even a checkbox for PM. Also, I have to sign in using the menu bar icon every time I go to a website. Checking the <remember me> box doesn't do anything. I don't know what the disconnect is between System Settings on the Mac and the PM icon in the menu bar but they aren't "talking" to each other. I feel like I have half an install and little of the performance the advertising promised. I bought Bitdefender to replace Norton, Dashlane and Malwarebytes; maybe this was a mistake.

• Hi @bomiankang,

I think it's best to have an engineer help you out with the configuration. I'm not a Mac user, so I can't pronounce myself here. The Password Manager extension is available for Safari and it does have an option to autofill accounts, as shown in the screenshot above.

You can get in touch with our engineers by choosing one of the contact channels available here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

• I switched to BitDefender from LastPass mid-March 2023. I'd been with LastPass for years before this, but I was concerned about the security breach they experienced.

I've encountered the same problems listed by others here, followed the recommendations (click "Remember Me", disable "Open Login Tab", etc.).

I'm using Windows 10 w/ Firefox on desktop, as well as on my Linux Manjaro laptop w/ Firefox.

I still seem to have to log in every 48-72 hours. My question is - is this normal? How long will it remember me?

It's a bit annoying. These are my personal PCs in my home on my home network. It would be one thing if I were traveling and it noted a new IP address and needed me to log in again - I'd understand that.

But here, in my home, I've had to log in to Bitdefender Security first, then into Bitdefender Password Manager.

My passwords are long and practically impossible to remember in order to ensure better security. Having to log in every 48-72 hours is stupid when my IP address isn't changing.

Again, my question - is this the expected login period? 48-72 hours? Every time?

Sincerely,

BGPhilbin

• Hello @BG6qtn0w,

The 'Remember me' option ensures that you will remain logged in for 72 hours, after that the master password will be asked for again.

As per the above quote, using 'Remember me' does not mean that you will never have to use the Master Password again, as it will be required under the conditions specified herein.

Regards

• carlswans
    carlswans Login - Having to do Repeatedly

Here it is July, 2023 and after all this time Bitdefender has not corrected this issue. Hey, anyone over at Bitdefender listening?

• 72 hours??? I also migrated from dashlane and bought the full bitdefender suite thinking it would be comparable to dashlane. Even the 2 weeks that dashlane allowed you to be logged in for wasn't enough but it was tolerable. 72 hours is unacceptable. I wish I knew this before I bought it for a year. Will migrate to another provider next year.

• I agree that Password Manager is a big letdown from Wallet. If I have to keep entering the master password for every account page, I may as well dump Password Manager and just enter the account passwords.