How to retract remote wipe

Hello,

I've lost my laptop and thought it might have been stolen so I turn on remote wipe on it.

Laptop has been found and I got it back.

Is there such an option and if so, how can I retract the remote wipe to avoid loosing my data.

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH mod

Hello.

According to this article:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/32561/

"IMPORTANT!
    Keep in mind that once you use Erase device, it will wipe out everything from your lost laptop. All Anti-Theft tools cease to function as there will be no operating system left behind. This action is irreversible. Make sure to use it only if you are sure that your laptop has been stolen and cannot be recovered."

Regards.

• Thanks. But the data has not been deleted yet. I know because I started the system away from WiFi network I was able to log in without any problems.

However I am bit worried now that when I connect to the WiFi it will procees with the deletion. Hence the question, can I stop it (retract it) before it happeens?

• Gjoksi

Hello again.

I beileve that when you will connect to the WiFi, the wipe process will begin and you can't stop it, no matter what you do.

But, @Alexandru_BD (who works for Bitdefender) can give you/us more details on the wipe function.

Regards.

• Hello @Bartosz,

Was the wipe command successful?

There is a chance to recover the data if the wipe process did not finish. Boot from Windows recovery media and use chkdsk function in Command Prompt.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Hi @Alexandru_BD,

As I mentioned before the wipe did not happen yet as I did not connect to internet.

So is it possible to call it off (cancel it), so it will not happen when I will connect to Wi-Fi?

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited July 15

Thanks for following up.

In this case, do not connect the laptop to the internet and contact Bitdefender support instead. They will advise on the next steps.

You can get in touch with the Bitdefender engineers by choosing one of the contact channels listed here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason / choose request category, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Let us know how it goes and what was the workaround to 'call it off', if possible.

Regards

• Gjoksi

Hello again.

If i were you, i would first back-up the data from the laptop on services like Google Drive, Dropbox etc. or even on external USB/HDD/SSD and then do the steps from the comments above.

Regards.

• Thanks! I've conntacted the support and here is the answer I got:

”yes, but you have to completely uninstall Bitdefender and all it's programs.Remove it from Bitdefender Central after that.After you do all that you can connect it to the internet and reinstall the program."

I will do that and let you know if it did work.

• Thanks for following up @Bartosz.

Yes, I figured that would be the workaround, but I was not 100% sure, hence my recommendation to get in touch with them. Glad to hear it's sorted.

Regards

• I proceed it with this and I can confirm this solution works.

Thanks for help!

This discussion has been closed.