Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Security Widget Bdis2013

Options

G'day Folks,

I have a MSI Laptop ex720 with windows Home Premium 32bit loaded.

No other Security or Anti virus programs are installed !

Having installed BDIS 2013 32bit I expected the Security Widget to display on the Desktop which it does not.

Also, after the installation, the "B" icon constantly shows "BitDefender services are loading now, please wait." and does not yield any menu when right mouse clicking on it.

I have attempted to install this tree times obviously Uninstalling from the options also tried Repair, also used the 2013 uninstaller Tool etc., re-booting after each task, and still I have no Widget.

Any suggestions please.

Regards

pcbugfixer :ph34r:

Comments

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options

G'day Folks,

This is a surprise, that no one has an answer for this issue ??

I thought that chris would have the answer for this :D

Regards

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello pcbugfixer,

Please let me know if you managed to solve the issue you first submitted. Do you need further assistance?

Thank you! :)

• pcbugfixer
    Options

G'day Georgia,

Yes and No in answer to "Do you need further assistance?"

The problem on the customers Laptop was not fixed.

However as a work around in view of the email and filters etc. are working and the only thing we had not loading was rthe System Tray Icon, I created a shortcut on the quick launch to the BDIS2013 so that we could access the parameters and options for BDIS2013 which is working and is tolerable.

If you have a fix for this, I would need to do a remote session, i.e. I would not you, to my customers laptop and try to fix this with your suggestions.

and please do not try and tell me that I need to uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy, or Super anti Spyware or MalwareBytes, as these are not running as resident only BDIS2013 is, and in fact having installed these after BDIS2013 was installed, they make no difference.

Further it should be noted as proof that these programs i.e. Spybot Search and Destroy, or Super anti Spyware or MalwareBytes, DO NOT interfere with the BDIS2013 or BDTS2013 installations on Windows XP Pro SP3, or Vista Ultimate or Win 7 Ultimate, I am running these on my systems without any issues what so ever !!!

Regards

Roger H.

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hello pcbugfixer,

Thank you for your feedback.

First of all please make sure you are running the latest build version 16.27.0.1763 (please right click on Bitdefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number).

Regarding the other security solutions - I'm not going to contradict you just to be on the same par, instead I'm going to give you all the technical details that you need in order to deduce for yourself that having 2 or more security solutions installed on the same PC that offer the same kind of protection is, well, bad.

Before we start, I'll take the chance and remind you that the EULA clearly states that you should not install Bitdefender along other security solutions.

Now: any security solution has an interface where you can adjust different settings. Behind this user interface there are processes and drivers, which are active components of that security solution that are loaded at all times on the PC. Even if you disable all modules from the interface, the processes and most important, the drivers, remain loaded on your PC. Even if the application will not take any decisions and will not actually protect your PC, all traffic and file access are still filtered, just that no blocking decisions are taken.

Because a security solution is meant to protect your PC, it constantly scans all files that are being accessed at any moment (not modified, accessed. For

example, if you simply click on a file, it will be scanned). When the application scans such a file, first it locks it (the drivers I mentioned before allow the application to take full control over each file on your PC) and then it performs the scanning algorithms and such. Now, if you have 2 security solutions, they will both have such a driver/(s) that allows full access to all files. These 2 drivers can conflict each other because they will both try to lock the same file in the same time, but only one will (probably) succeed, while the other can either move on or crash. This is only one of the many situations when security solutions can conflict.

It's not at all a marketing thing, it's just the plain fact that security solutions, because they have the same behavior and need to take the same actions, will conflict. I'm now talking about a wide range of security solutions.

My advice is to uninstall all other security software temporarily and repair or reinstall Bitdefender. If the issue doesn't occur anymore, you can reinstall them and see how that goes. :)

• pcbugfixer
    pcbugfixer ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options

G'day Georgia,

Here we go again, same old misguided believe !!

1. It is obvious that you did not understand the issue, "The System Tray icon for NDIS2013 does not work correctly !! which is what the 1st post was all about.

2. For some reason BD Staff particularly Support, seem not to read the posts or messages in emails and presume to give partial advice only, which in turn may be unrelated or off the track, and in most cases it is.

3. I have 32+ years experience in the IT Industry and started using BD Software back in 2003 ( I think AVX was my 1st experience) and do not need to be told where the System Tray icons are located - Thanks anyway.

4. In view of "Also, after the installation, the "B" icon constantly shows "BitDefender services are loading now, please wait." and does not yield any menu when right mouse clicking on it." I am unable to comply with your " (please right click on BitDefender icon from system tray-near the clock-and choose "About". You should see in the left side the build number)."

- So what next ?

5. As to your comment "Before we start, I'll take the chance and remind you that the EULA clearly states that you should not install BitDefender along other security solutions." all I can say is "Ignorance is Bliss" and you have failed to understand the purpose and installation methods of the Other Anti-Virus Security Applications.

A - None of the other Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, or other Parasite scanner applications run as an active resident System Utility and BD is the "ONLY Active" Security utility that protects the Users Computer System. All the others are used as scanners when BD fails (which it does often) to detect particular Parasites that by-passed the BD protection.

B - BD products, nor for that matter any Internet Security products from any Publisher, can provide 100% protection against Parasites infiltrating a Users Computer System. Anyone believing that a singular Security product can or will provide 100% protection is a fool !!

C - It is therefor an advantage that an Advanced User can Install other Security products, ensuring that they do not run as resident protection and are configured so that they can be utilized to scan for Parasites that may or have been missed by the installed resident security program that is running in the system tray and is visible by its Icon besides also running in the Users Mail client.

D - The remainder of your comments are superfluous in that none of the other installed Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware etc., Utilities are running as resident programs, in that you either have no understanding of the other installations and how they where configured to avoid running as a resident program and therefore do not duplicate any of the BD setting or BD's resident protection and have no conflict with the installed BD product !!

NB: BD and other Publishes and the codes used to perform their functions are themselves questionable and may also themselves contain virus like codes, hence the issue with most publishes of these type of programs not wanting the User to install others to avoid the erroneous detection of these codes. This in my opinion is idiotic and the only issue still remaining is between Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and BitDefender's Products where one or the other refuses to install while one is installed. - Get on with it and stop this inter-company conflict which does not look favorably on either Publisher !

- Also noteworthy is the fact that most of the Publishers give warning to the effect that they may detect the others as Viruses !!☺☺☺

6. You said, "My advice is to uninstall all other security software temporarily and repair or reinstall BitDefender. If the issue doesn't occur anymore, you can reinstall them and see how that goes."

A - The number of times I have done this in the past, and it has never made any difference to the errors or issue in question, is not funny. I evan tried it on this installation and used my special Registry Crawler Utility to scan for any Orphans of each of the respective programs to ensure that no remnants ( or traces) remained thereof. Noteworthy is the fact that after un-installing BD products using the BD software's un-installer and where needed using the BD un-install Tool for the respective BD version, there are more BD product orphans in the registry then for any of the other Internet Security Utilities !!

Take my comments as constructive criticism and let me know if you need help with installing and configuring other Anti-Parasite Security utilities.

Like I said, "Further it should be noted as proof that these programs i.e. Spybot Search and Destroy, or Super anti Spyware or MalwareBytes, DO NOT interfere with the BDIS2013 or BDTS2013 installations on Windows XP Pro SP3, or Vista Ultimate or Win 7 Ultimate, I am running these on my systems without any issues what so ever !!! "

BTW: MalwareBytes catches 99% of the Parasites that BD misses. I am glad that I installed it and the others as backup scanner.

Regards

• Georgia
    Georgia ✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

Please post here a support tool log. The support tool executable is found by bringing up the Bitdefender interface and going to Help and Support > Contact Support.

If you are unable to upload the file here you can put it on www.sendspace.com and post the download link.

If you were already asked to generate this log, disregard the above message and just post your ticket ID.

Thank you!