Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Fixing BDLDaemon High CPU Usage in High Sierra

Options

Please read directions carefully before proceeding!!!

If you find any mistakes in this procedure, please correct it for everyone else. I tried my best to make sure this is easy to follow.

I, like everyone else here, had a lot of problems with BDLDaemon using about 80% to 100% of my CPU, and slowing down the my system making the computer and the fan work really hard.

So, I found that Excluding High Sierra's hidden SnapShots backup from being scanned seems to STOP the constant BDLDaemon process from activating.

Here is what I did (be very careful with terminal and revealing hidden files, DO NOT DELETE OR ALTER HIDDEN FILES WHEN HIDDEN FILES APPEAR, EVER!!! Unless you know what you are doing).

First, open preferences on Bitdefender and goto the Exclusion tab, have that ready.

Open Terminal App found in Applications/Utilities.

Copy and paste the following command into the Terminal prompt to show hidden files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder

All hidden files should now appear in semi-grey almost invisible to indicate these are hidden files that are now exposed.

Again, DO NOT DELETE OR ALTER HIDDEN FILES WHEN HIDDEN FILES APPEAR, EVER!!!

In Finder, scroll all the way down to locate the folder 'Volume', and click it. You will see a file called 'com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots'.

Highlight 'com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots' drag and drop into the Path section of the Exclusion Tab which list all the Exclusion files (you cannot click the bottom '+' button since this does not see the hidden files even when it appears).

If done correctly you should see a folder icon with /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots under Path of the Exclusion Tab.

Once this is complete make sure that you go back to the Terminal App at the prompt, copy and paste this command to Hide the Files that should be hidden:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean false ; killall Finder

That is it. It seems to work so far and all is well.

Comments

• Hello, 

Please find more about Time Machine snapshots here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015 . They could be excluded, if you wish, or could simply be deleted or disabled. Since they're temporary files, you need only to turn off and back the "Back up Automatically" option in Time Machine Preferences and they will be removed. A reboot may be required in between the actions. 

The steps to exclude them are correct. In the meantime, on Sierra and High Sierra, you may use Command-Shift-(.) to show hidden files. It's not necessary to use Terminal. Keep in mind that these local snapshots could be affected by malware and if you exclude them from scanning, they will be at risk, as opposed to the actual backups which are protected by both the OS and Bitdefender Time Machine Protection. 

Bitdefender scans these files because they are new and, depending on the number and size of files, it might require more resources then usual. 

• I do not need the new snapshots on my main drive. How do I tell Time Machine and / or macOS to stop making them and delete them?

This will not be a security problem for me, because my external disk / drive is always connected to my iMac.

After excluding the snapshots from scanning, the BDLDeamon calmed down, so I know that was the problem.

• 6 hours ago, Catalin R. said:

Hello, 

Please find more about Time Machine snapshots here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015 . They could be excluded, if you wish, or could simply be deleted or disabled. Since they're temporary files, you need only to turn off and back the "Back up Automatically" option in Time Machine Preferences and they will be removed. A reboot may be required in between the actions. 

The steps to exclude them are correct. In the meantime, on Sierra and High Sierra, you may use Command-Shift-(.) to show hidden files. It's not necessary to use Terminal. Keep in mind that these local snapshots could be affected by malware and if you exclude them from scanning, they will be at risk, as opposed to the actual backups which are protected by both the OS and Bitdefender Time Machine Protection. 

Bitdefender scans these files because they are new and, depending on the number and size of files, it might require more resources then usual. 

Thank you for the quick key commands to show hidden files. I am a terminal guy, old habits, I guess.