Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Triples Size of Time Machine Files

Options

I just reinstalled Bitdefender 2019 and remembered why I took it off my machine. 

Bitdefender triples the size of my time machine files.  I go from an average of 200MB a backup to 600MB plus.  This doesn't happen when I remove Bitdefender and it happened in other versions as well. 

I can't help but think that Bitdefender is changing Mac file information when it scans the file or is causing it to be changed so TM sees the change and has to back it up. 

Comments

• Correction - they are FOUR TO FIVE TIMES LARGER.  Instead of 200MB - 400MB tops, these TM backups are starting at 900MB.  Bitdefender must be changing something in the file data to cause Time Machine to think the file has changed and needs to be backed up.

• Roxana G
    Options

Hello,

The difference from when Bitdefender is installed and from when it is not installed represents the size of the Bitdefender signatures which are modifying at each Bitdefender update. The fact that Bitdefender scans your backups does not affect your backups,.

• MtView
    edited February 2019
    Options

Ok - so the Bitdefender signature file size is roughly 500MB to 700MB?

Also - how can I exclude the Bitdefender signature file from Time Machine so it isn’t backed up?

• Roxana G
    Options

Hello,

The Bitdefender signatures files size around 500 MB. You may exclude the Bitdefender signature files from being backed up as it follows:

- go to System Preferences

- click on Time Machine

- click on Options

- click on (+) and add /Library/Bitdefender

• Thank you!  This is the first time anyone told me it was the signature file!  That should do it.