Does Bitdefender VPN keep logs?

Hello,

As the title says, wondering if the VPN service from bitdefender keeps logs. I've read a lot of negative things online about Bitdefender's VPN, but I trust their other products. Rather than believe everything I've read, I am curious what people here think. Do they log their traffic? Is the speed really as promised?

Comments

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Hi Member,

Bitdefender VPN uses the engine/ servers provided by Hotspot Shield. So you will have to contact Hotspot Shield in order to get the required information.

Regards

Flex

(Bitdefender beta tester 2019/ 2020)

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• I'm pretty sure you can ask this from Bitdefender official Support too either with Email or Chat which is available 24/7

if they don't have the answer they ask the right department to contact you, and the right department i'm sure is not Hotspot Shield

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    edited November 2020

Well that is a good idea provided by @itsParham to contact Bitdefender support. Additionally, I would like to add something. Currently bitdefender support is experiencing high amount of tickets and they are basically related to bitdefender widget disappearance. So, the maximum time the support team takes to answer a query (which is 72 hours, excluding saturday & sunday) may extend further. So, if you are dropping a support ticket or a direct email at [email protected] ,the possibilities are that you might receive back reply under or over 72 hours.

Secondly, bitdefender vpn is rebranded version of hotspot shield, which act as a different product but works on the base engine/ server of hotspot shield. Though collecting logs is against the privacy policy of bitdefender, but when it comes down to hotspot shield, its history shows that it tracks down user details. At the end it comes down to the user, if he/ she wants to use the VPN facility.

For example,

Emsisoft, bullguard, iobit anti malware, escan, gdata etc are different products, but they use the signature based engine of bitdefender. So, if you will contact any of the above stated vendors for the removal of a particular detection against a sample which you think is not malicious, in most cases they will ask you to directly contact bitdefender for that. And if bitdefender will remove the detection, it will automatically be removed from the other vendor products also.

Personally, I only use bitdefender for its malware detection capability & firewall. I used its VPN once but then disabled it.

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• According to this FAQ (https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/7126/)

Bitdefender do collect online logs they are most probably encrypted and anonymised tho.

and they've actually answered the question in that faq:

"5. Will Bitdefender share my IP address and personal data shared with third parties? No, with Bitdefender VPN your privacy is 100% safe. Nobody (advertising agencies, ISP’s, insurance companies, etc.) will have access to your online logs."

they probably have some kind of official agreement with Hotspot Shield company about it since they are promising a 100% privacy safety which most providers won't.