How do I disable the popup for VPN service?

FichtenMoped
edited January 2022 in VPN

Bitdefender 2017. Already went into services and disabled AfVpnService, BdVpnService, and IT STILL FRIGGING POPS UP! In my version of Bitdefender Total Security, there is no option in services that disables this notification, and everything is disabled except for update and scan media. Any ideas? Which service did I miss?

I HATE REPEATING MYSELF>>>>NO!! I DON'T WANT YOUR FRIGGING VPN SERVICE! Do I sound agitated at all:)?

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi Alex. Thank you for this tip. I also do not know the different versions, because another tip out of this forum pushed the answer through the settings tab on the left side of the app. This seems to work, and if it does not will return to the thread.

• really irritating VPN notification. I put off all notification but still is popup when its connected to WIFI, like a virus please remove the option

• I already own a VPN Service that covers ALL my devices and tests better in multiple reviews.

As a courtesy I won't name it. I have Bitdefender Total Security 2022 and am pleased with it because it covers all my devices and rates highly.

The constant SPAMMING of Bitdefender VPN is extremely annoying. I will NEVER buy it so how can I make it STOP SPAMMING ME!

• Hello @sparh4wk,

You can try the following:

Open the Bitdefender interface and go to Settings, then under the General tab, toggle Special Offers and Recommendation notifications OFF, as shown below:

Then, bring up the VPN interface, go to Settings and disable all the options:

These are the settings i've made and the VPN does not bother me at all, whenever I'm not using it.

Not sure about other competitors, but Bitdefender does have a strong VPN and a very user friendly interface. AND it's included in the antivirus as well (with limited traffic indeed, but this can be upgraded).

Let us know if this helps.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• I'm having the same issue with Bit Defender Total Security 2022. That VPN popup box is extremely annoying. I guess Bit Defender isn't smart enough to know I'm already running a VPN, just not Bit Defenders. I've disabled every kind of notification but that box continues to pester me. It's the kind of annoyance that sometimes leads me to stop using the product entirely. Unfortunately, it seems all of the antivirus programs aren't content after you purchase their program, they want to sell you more stuff and don't seem willing to give up, no matter how offensive they become.

• pinbot
    edited August 2022

Yeah, to put it as politely as possible, these popups are the worst. Been a happy customer for years, but I might be done.

• I have BitDefender Total Security, dont have BitDefender VPN as I already have a VPN, but still get the stupid popups for BitDefender VPN

The above fix doesnt work when you dont have BitDefender installed

Settings/General/Special Offers turned off

Settings/General/Recommendation notifications turned off

Still get the stupid popups

How do we turn off these stupid popups or is it time to just uninstall BitDefender and go with a competitor?

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited May 2022

Hello @Paul9876543210,

Try to turn off the Wi-Fi Security Advisor and see if the VPN notification is silenced afterwards:

1. Click Protection on the navigation menu on the Bitdefender interface.

2. In the Vulnerability pane, click Open.

3. Go to the Settings window and turn on or off the Wi-Fi Security Advisor switch.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

• Hey Alex. I'm going to follow your other recommendation dated March 2.

With regards to this recommendation to turn off Wifi security advisor, have you asked your leaders/architects whether this is wise? You are asking your customers to turn off a security feature that is normally turned on for Wifi connections. Unless I am mistaken, I don't think you should ever turn off Wifi Security Advisor.

Let me know if I'm wrong. What security capabilities would I be turning off simply by turning off the Wifi security advisor as you suggested besides the VPN notifications?

• Hi @laugher,

Wi-Fi security advisor was mostly designed for unsecured or unencrypted public Wi-Fi networks. These networks are more likely to be unsafe, since they do not require a password for login, and if they do, the password could be made available to anybody who wants to connect. Moreover, they may be malicious or honeypot networks, representing a target for cybercriminals. The Wi-Fi security advisor also monitors the home Wi-Fi and office Wi-Fi. If you are using a trusted network, either office or home and still do not wish to disable this feature, you can configure them individually, as follows:

To start configuring your home network:

2. In the Vulnerability pane, click Open.

3. Go to the Wi-Fi Security Advisor tab and click Home Wi-Fi.

4. In the Home Wi-Fi tab, click SELECT HOME WI-FI. A list of the wireless networks you connected to until now is displayed.

5. Point to your home network, and then click SELECT. If a home network is considered unsecured or unsafe, configuration recommendations to improve its security are displayed.

To remove the wireless network you have set as a home network, click the REMOVE button. 

To add a new wireless network as home, click Select new Home Wi-Fi network.

To start configuring your office network:

2. In the VULNERABILITY pane, click Open.

3. Go to the Wi-Fi Security Advisor window, click Office Wi-Fi.

4. In the Office Wi-Fi tab, click SELECT OFFICE Wi-Fi. A list of the wireless networks you connected to until now is displayed.

5. Point to your office network, and then click SELECT. If an office network is considered unsecured or unsafe, configuration recommendations to improve its security are displayed.

To remove the wireless network you have set as an office network, click REMOVE.

To add a new Office wireless network, click Select new office Wi-Fi.

Once you have these configured, the notifications will no longer be displayed, as the networks will be marked as trusted. However, if you use public Wi-Fi networks in general, is is usefeul to have it enabled. But given the lack of security these networks usually have, it will pop-up everytime I think.

The advisor works more like a warning tool, as it monitors and makes a recommendation. It will not really protect you, other defenses will.

Cheers

• what operating system are you using?

• Is till get those VPN notification even with the whole Vulnerability feature disabled . I am on Windows 11/Bitdefender Total security and on LAN

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

@Alexandru_BD is on leave.

Kindly contact the bitdefender support by visiting https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/ and scroll down to the bottom of the webpage where you can get in touch with support representative either by email, chat or over a call.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Have done everything in this thread, popups still persist.

Windows 10, latest updates, Bitdefender AV Plus, "another company's" VPN, running on my home WiFi.

Just got off a support chat with Traian M., he needed to see a screenshot of the message, which I don't have because it occurs only once at startup.

Need to get a screenshot and chat Support again.

Great.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@kjarrett

Hello.

Open your Bitdefender program and go to:

1. Settings -> General and disable "Special offers" and "Recommendation notifications"

2. Protection -> Antivirus -> Settings -> Scan flash drives and select "Autoscan" or "Disabled", do not select "Ask every time" (for the "USB Immunizer Recommendation" notification)

3. Privacy -> Safepay -> Settings and disable "Safepay notifications"

4. Privacy -> Video & Audio Protection -> Settings and disable "Notify when allowed applications connect to the webcam", "Notify when an application tries to access the microphone" and "Notify when browsers access the microphone"

5. Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and disable "Activate profiles automatically" (for the Profile notification)

After doing that, in the future no pop-up notifications will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen.

REMEMBER: When a threat is detected, a pop-up notification will be displayed in the lower right corner of your screen and you can't disable those pop-up notifications.

Next, as an option to fully disable the Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups, open your Bitdefender program, go to Utilities -> Profiles -> Settings and enable/activate "Work Profile" or "Game Profile".

When "Work Profile" or "Game Profile" is enabled/activated, all Bitdefender alerts and pop-ups are disabled.

Finally, as for the Bitdefender VPN pop-ups, you can simply uninstall Bitdefender VPN from your device by following the steps provided here (just select "Bitdefender VPN"):

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2791/

or

open the Bitdefender VPN program, go to Settings -> Notifications and disable "Allow notifications".

Regards.

• open bitdefender. Click the privacy tab, under the VPN box click open VPN click the settings wheel on the left side of the VPN window, under the settings window will be a notifications tab, turn off allow notifications. bingo bang its gone.

• I have a followed everything and I am very annoyed. Bitdefender seems to be a solid product. I'm sorry, but this will be the reason that I disabled my subscription and won't be renewing.

• Hello @JaMMy,

Can you share with us more details, please? Have you followed the above instructions to supress the VPN notifications? Did they work for you? Is there any other notification that you would like to disable and do you require further advice on how to achieve this?

Regards

• Hello! Just wanted to add

I ALREADY HAVE A VPN! STOP TRYING TO SELL ME A VPN!

Or at least make sure it's possible to turn off your spam notifications. Many, many users seem to be having problems with this.

I just wanted antivirus software, this is basically spamware. Come on guys. You should be embarrassed.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭

@a person ,

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums.

Did you follow the advice given here in previous posts?

You can turn off these notifications.

If you are still having issues, please post back so that we can help you further.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• derVivian
    edited February 11

This has been a real issue for more than 3 years now. It comes back with updates and is an annoyance to set every time the unwanted notification pops up.

I urge you to add a feature for the next relese that adds a checkbox that says "I understand. But please do not bother me with this notification ever again". This should silence the notifications for VPN for as long as possible. This little feature might help you keep a lot of really annoyed customers.

And go tell marketing that the ads for your VPN feature might attract some customers to buy it but it also makes customers shy away from your entire product line just because it never really stops bugging them.

Think of it this way. If you approach a potential customer on the streets with any product or service offer and they say they are not interested, what do you think happens when you tag along with them and never stop bugging them? They might just end up punching you in the face or calling the cops on you, worst case even get a restraining order from a court ... Just to explain the real life version of what you are doing here.

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭

@derVivian ,

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums. My experience differs, I guess, from your experience. Years ago, I simply uninstalled the VPN (it is listed separately) program and turned off all VPN-related notifications.

It comes back with updates and is an annoyance to set every time the unwanted notification pops up.

The notifications never came back, at least for me.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

• @derVivian simply uninstall the VPN app if you are not using it. All Bitdefender apps are easily removable via standard platform specific mechanisms (e.g. for Windows, go to Programs & Features).

• laugher
    laugher
    edited February 19

Simply turning off "VPN-related notifications" does not work. Not sure how you can find VPN-related notifications in the first place. If I go into BitDefender, there is no notifications called "VPN"-anything.

You need to turn off offers and recommendations. Offers are their marketing. Recommendations are what they believe you need to increase your security stance. VPN would fall into both types of these notifications.

I still have BitDefender VPN installed in my apps and I have received zero notifications about buying their VPN since turning off the above notifications. I would caution against turning off all the notifications suggested by some here as you want to be aware of potential security incidents or risks. For example, I would NEVER turn off webcam related access by applications because I actually want to know if someone is spying on me over the webcam particularly if I am not using said webcam.

I have included screenshot snippets to show you the above. First of what I turned off to remove all "buy my VPN" related popups. The second screenshot simply shows I still have BitDefender VPN installed even though I never use it.

• Hi @laugher,

Good point. Regarding the VPN notifications, you can set your preferences directly from the app (I still have the previous version):

These have to do with all VPN product notifications, except commercial and marketing communications that can be disabled from the special offers tab you've mentioned.

Regards,

Alex

• laugher
    laugher
    edited February 20

Thanks for clarifying @Alexandru_BD

I don't recall ever starting the Bitdefender VPN app (in foreground) and going through its settings so probably never found out what settings it has. As I don't ever use public or unsecured Wifi networks or use peer-to-peer file sharing apps, I guess these notifications never popup for me.

I guess if you did use BitDefender in the above circumstances, it might help to uninstall BitDefender VPN especially if you don't use a VPN or are using a competitor's product instead.

• That's correct, all Bitdefender apps are easily removable via standard platform specific mechanisms (eg for Windows, go to Programs & Features).

All customers that use one of Bitdefender's home security solutions also benefit from 200 Mb/day of free VPN encrypted traffic, therefore the app needs to be installed alongside the antivirus, so the customer can utilize the full functionality of the product they chose.

In any case, if you have all those notifications turned off, it shouldn't bother you anymore even if it's still installed on the device.

You're welcome.

Regards,

Alex