Why is BDSERVICEHOST.EXE in Win7 constantly talking to 253.185.120.34 (GoogleUserContent.com)??

I was noticing a constant regular periodic activity on my internet DUMeter graph on both of my Win7 desktop machines and decided to chase down the source using Taskmanager Resource Monitor. I've looked on one of my Win10 laptops and don't see the same behavior.

Turns out it is BDSERVICEHOST.EXE, constantly talking to GoogleUserContent.com (253.185.120.34).

This only seems to be happening on these two desktop machines both still running Windows 7 (because they are both HTPC machines using Windows Media Center which only runs on Win7).

Screenshot attached. Is this something I should be alarmed about? What is going on? Is there an explanation for why BD needs to talk to GoogleUserContent constantly??

Answers

• DSperber
    DSperber ✭✭✭
    What happened to the screenshot I attached? I don't see it now. But it was present when I was "composing" the above post. I had pasted the URL for the hosted image.

I don't see an official button or "attach" method for posting to this forum. Is there some way I can add an image??
  • This needs to be answered

• DSperber
    DSperber ✭✭✭
    Last week I opened an official support ticket asking about this observation.

Again, although this forum apparently does not support posting images or screenshots so I can't show you graphically what I saw, the symptom was that I saw "periodic spikes" on the DUMeter graphical output, every 20 seconds or so. In chasing down what that periodic activity was (relatively low message size in bytes, but UP about 2K/sec and DOWN about 3K/sec, repeatedly every 20 seconds).

And yesterday I did get a response from BitDefender support:

"Kindly note that this is a legitimate connection made by the Bitdefender product, in communicating with our cloud. We maintain a permanent connection to the cloud for the purpose of sync and for the functionality of various modules."

I don't know that this is very enlightening, but it does seem to say it is BY DESIGN. And apparently that's the way the program works. So we shall have to live with it.

Nothing wrong here, folks. Nothing to see. Please move on.