Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender not showing in system tray & Bitdefender does not start on startup

I've just noticed that the Bitdefender icon is not showing up on my system tray. Actually, this occurs randomly. Sometimes the Bitdefender icon appears in the system tray and sometimes not. Also, when it doesn’t appear than "On-access" file scan also does not work even I select the infected file.

I am using Bitdefender Total Security on a Laptop with Windows 11 Home Edition, 64bit.

I reinstall Bitdefender but the issue remains.

Comments

• i have the same problem. All of a sudden it won't load on startup.
  • Hello,

Starting with the build versions 19.x, 20.x and 21.x bdagent.exe (which holds the Bitdefender desktop widget, Wallet master password, the ‘B’ system tray icon) no longer loads automatically from the Run registry key, but it is set to run as a scheduled task.

In Task SchedulerBitdefender Agent is now scheduled to start with a delay after boot. Therefore, the system tray icon appears a little bit later.

This does not jeopardize the security of the Windows systems.

It only delays the load of some Bitdefender graphics for a better response of Windows 10. The anti-malware engines are loaded automatically at boot from vsserv.exe. This is the main process of Bitdefender in charge of real-time protection.

Even though the interface is not loaded yet, Bitdefender still provides real-time protection against malware even before your Windows account loads completely.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• RedsFan
    RedsFan ✭✭✭
  • I also had a same problem. But as mentioned by Alexandru_BD, Bitdefender won't load in system tray even after waiting for 10-15 mins. Later on I discovered that I had disabled Bitdefender VPN from autostart. This somehow prevented main interface as well from starting up. Once I enabled Bitdefender VPN in autostart, it started showing up in system tray upon boot.

• I have the same problem. But the icon does not load even after an hour. Bitdefender agent is running and the system is protected. But I have no possibility to manage my settings or add and remove exceptions.

The only two scheduler tasks from bitdefender are the agent watchdog and the updater.

• OK, when I start seccenter.exe it works. Funnily enough the link in the start menu does not work despite pointing to seccenter.exe.

Anyway, it would still be nice to get the system tray icon back.

• Interesting. I have recently been plagued with the same issue. I'm running Windows 11 build 19043.1766. Although the tray icon is missing, Task Mgr shows that Bitdefender is running. This seems to ONLY happen when I do a cold start. If I then do a restart, the icon magically appears.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@wbpat

Hello.

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue

and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/1733/

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/91918/bitdefender-websites-and-bitdefender-consumer-support-contacts

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• Stu1000
    edited August 2022

Same problem. 🙄. Makes me wonder whether the application is otherwise working properly.

• Stu1000
    edited August 2022

Just realised that Bitdefender agent was disabled in startup apps and confirmed with BD support this is required for the security widget to display. I don't know how the app became disabled (widget was displaying OK "mostly") but I had (almost certainly) explicitly disabled the BD VPN app from startup (as I have an alternate VPN/no reason to use BD VPN)... Anyway, have reenabled the agent (which BD said was not required for security purposes but is needed for the security widget to display) and will see if that solution "sticks" over the next couple weeks.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod

Hi @RichieB99

It's saying everything's okay :)

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Scott

Sorry @RedsFan , didn't mean to steal a post away from you ^ but it was right there at my fingertips :)

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Great info Scott, but why not just have a 'B' if there are no issues with the security. I have seen the 'B' without the arrow. the arrow must mean it is doing something or indicate something.

• Scott
    edited September 2022

Hi again, @RichieB99

It's the same icon as on the Dashboard, the Autopilot symbol, Autopilot Recommendations. Even though I needed a scan, it doesn't show it as a crisis in the system tray icon. Otherwise, I'm not sure why the other didn't have an arrow.

• is it an arrow ?? or maybe its a cloud ??? :)

• Scott

It's the Batman icon. Bitdefender is a big fan of Batman, so they included it in their software :) :) Didn't Avast use to have a Pirate Talk language option with their AV?

• Or maybe it's the space invaders ship?

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Jokes aside, that "spaceship" is indeed related to the autopilot and @Scott did a fine job making the connection. As long as the protection status is OK, it will be displayed like this. If something is disabled (e.g. one of the security modules), another thing appears next to the "B" icon, depending on what defenses are inactive.

Cheers

• Yes, you can all have your jokes but security is very important.

This morning Bitdefender didn't start with my PC but I didn't realise until the Windows 10 security message showed on screen after about 10 minutes. If that message showed, surely Bitdefender was NOT working in the background?

I don't know why it didn't start but, when I tried to start it myself, I had to log in again. Why? I've been using Bitdefender for 10 months now without any problems and without having to log in.

You've also made logging in a real pain, especially when using 1Password password manager. Your PC interface will not allow 1Password to copy my password in. Is that because I've refused to use Bitdefender's password manager and you're annoyed at my decision?

• Cosmin P.
    Cosmin P. QA Engineer ✭✭✭

No, on Windows 10 there is a known issue where copy-pasting in the login window won't work.

Moreover, even if the systray icon is not shown, that doesn't mean that you are not protected. If the "VSSERV" (or Bitdefender Virus Shield) service is running, you should be good.

• I am facing the same issue recently, but the customer care they are saying me that this is an issue because I am now in China! 🤣

Is there any solution to this issue?

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

There are a few reasons why Bitdefender might not be showing in the system tray or starting on startup. Here are a few things you can check:

1) Make sure that Bitdefender is installed and running properly. You can check this by opening the Bitdefender app and looking for the "Status" icon in the bottom right corner of the window. If the icon is green, Bitdefender is running properly. If the icon is red, Bitdefender is not running.

2) Make sure that Bitdefender is set to start on startup. You can check this by going to the "Settings" icon in the Bitdefender app and clicking on "General". Under "Startup", make sure that the "Start Bitdefender with Windows" option is checked.

3) If Bitdefender is installed and running properly, but it is still not showing in the system tray or starting on startup, you can try restarting your computer. This may fix the issue.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind:

1) Bitdefender may not show in the system tray if you have enabled the "Hide Bitdefender icon from the system tray" option in the Bitdefender settings.

2) Bitdefender may not start on startup if you have disabled the "Start Bitdefender with Windows" option in the Bitdefender settings.

3) If you have recently installed a new program or made changes to your computer's settings, it is possible that these changes have affected Bitdefender's ability to start on startup or show in the system tray. If you are not sure what might have caused the issue, you can try reversing the changes that you made or reinstalling Bitdefender.

If issue persists, uninstalling and reinstalling bitdefender product is advisable. If issue still persist, you will have to contact bitdefender support.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user