Expert's computers showroom. What rigs have you built?

Alexandru_BD
Alexandru_BD admin
edited February 2023 in General Topics

I've seen some impressive gear in your signatures and this thread came to mind. Building a PC from scratch can seem intimidating, but is one of the best ways to ensure that your system is capable of satisfying all of your personal preferences. Choosing between a pre-built PC vs custom PC can be challenging, as there are so many options out there and you usually end up adding parts to upgrade the rig later on. The pre-built machines are usually well put together, as reputable manufacturers use balanced and reliable hardware configurations. But I guess nothing beats the satisfaction of building your own machine, as you decide which components will make their way into the rig and also have fun in the process. The customization route comes with a plethora of options, from the CPU to the fans and lighting. It all comes down to the purpose of the machine and usage. Whether it will be used for gaming, programing or video editing, the build requires some research and preparation in advance, such as scouting for parts, reading reviews and getting the right tools. A DIY built also requires some technical know-how. And the buget dictates how far you can push the specs. But even if some parts might seem expensive at first, they will always pay off on the long run.

As technology evolves rapidly, the PC must also leave the door open for upgrades, and if you've built your own, you will always know exactly what parts you need to keep up.

I would love to find out what are the rigs you guys have built and what components have you used. Do you have any recommendations or buying advice? Let us know in the comments below.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

Comments

• @Scott I promised to make a quick photo, excuse the quality :)

Intel Core i7-7700 @ 3.60Ghz, 64GB DDR4 || Gigabyte nVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 8GB || WD Blue NAND 500GB + 1TB

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited May 2022

@Mike_BD you're right, when you posted that you wanted to have your tower, build, to be hidden in plain sight. It looks like a stereo receiver with a speaker on top.

https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/comment/310113/#Comment_310113

I built this years ago, pretty much when the Nividia Geforce GTX 285 came out. I started out with lots of bells and whistles, lots of fans, lights and a bigger tower, Cooler Master, with the blue-lit fan on the front, etc. It's a little light on the RAM, but at that time it was all I needed. I know my cable management is less than stellar but with this the smaller case and the longer cables coming off the PSU, made it a little harder that way.

I ended up in buying a smaller case and stripped things down to be quieter, including soundproofing the inside, Noctura fans and CPU cooler, as well as a quiet, silent HD case for the WD Velociraptor HD.

The best part of doing your own build, is the education you get in doing it, as far as parts, compatibility etc.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Hi @Mary032,

Usually, when building your own computer you can save some money. It all comes down to the usage, as this dictates the performance of the parts you need and naturally, influences the cost. Researchers have found that you can save up to 30% in cost, on average, when choosing the DIY route, compared to pre-built PCs. But this may require to invest time and scout for deals when it comes to components. You can check websites like https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/ for inspiration, even though some of the build guides are aimed at gaming/streaming, you can get an idea of how much a custom build will take.

The cheapest build I could find here costs around 500$, but again, it's entry-level gaming oriented, so I think that 300$ is doable to spend for a basic rig, but certainly not less. But I would save and get some quality parts, as this will make a huge difference on the long run.

Cheers

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user