Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

How to get around "unable to delete file: access denied" error when using File Shredder?

Options
andacat
edited October 2022 in General Topics

Hello -

Apologies if this thread already exists out there; I searched, but didn't find anything on my exact issue (which surprises me, because it happens to me fairly frequently).

I use File Shredder at least once a day from the trash bin. Now and again, I'll have attempted to shred a folder with (typically) .jpg & .psd files in it; after I run file shredder, the files inside the folder will be gone, but the folder itself won't shred, and I'll get the error message, "unable to delete file: access denied".

The folders are basically never system files or anything stored in funky places; like I said, they're typically folders of image files, but it'll happen sometimes with folders that contained normal Office files, like .xlsx's / .pdf's, just stored in file folders easily accessible from my desktop. I'd say that I encounter this issue about once a week, give or take. I've got Bitdefender checking for updates every 8 hours; I've not had any alerts nor anything of the sort pertaining to file shredder. This has been happening on and off for as long as I can remember, on my last two laptops (used consecutively) - and I've used Bitdefender for at least 5 years.

I've done the following (multiple times):

• Rebooted
  • Restored the folder, then deleted / attempted to shred again
  • Restored the folder to a new location, then deleted / attempted to shred again
  • Closed all open programs / windows / and even browsers, then attempted to shred again
  • Restored, closed all open programs / windows / even browsers, then deleted / attempted to shred again
  • Restored, attempted to rename the folder, deleted / attempted to shred again (it reverts to the old name once it hits the recycle bin)
  • Variations & combinations of the above

...and still, the folder won't shred. Makes me crazy. I wind up just using Windows' "empty the trash bin" function. Or recycle bin. Whatever they're calling it now.

??????????????

The fine print:

Product Information: Bitdefender Antivirus Plus | Build 26.0.28.94

Windows Info: Edition: Windows 10 Pro, Version: 21H2, Installed on: ‎8/‎26/‎2020, OS build: 19044.2075, Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Thank you for any help!

~ Andrea

Answers