Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Backups Of Ransomware Remediation In Bitdefender Total Security

Hello,

I use BitDefender Total Security. I would like to learn more about how BitDefender implements Ransomware Remediation.

I read the related part in the PDF guide:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

And it says:

> Bitdefender Ransomware Remediation backs up your files such as documents, pictures, videos, or music to make sure that they are protected from being damaged or lost in case of ransomware encryption. Each time a ransomware attack is detected, Bitdefender will block all processes involved in the attack and start the remediation process. This way, you will be able to recover the content of your entire files without paying for any asked ransom.

My questions are:

(1) Will it be triggerred in any mass-encryption activity, or it needs to recognize specific ransomware ?

(2) From which folders, it chooses files to backup ? For example, does it protect files in OneDrive folder ?

(3) And where it stores the backup ? For example, if I have a large directory with 10 GBs of pictures/videos, does it have 10 GBs of backup ?

It is obvious that BitDefender is not a backup software, but I would like to learn how deep this feature is implemented.

Thank you in advance.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Thank you very much @Gjoksi , @Alexandru_BD for insightful comments.

Also, I found a lot of information in your previous comments in other questions.

About cloud files, I guess if they are already downloaded to disk (many Cloud provider such as Dropbox, OneDrive call this "offline") they will be protected. If they are online only, I believe it is not the scope of BitDefender.

As always, it is best to have a specific backup software for other disk failure and other problems.

Regards.