Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender firewall no longer works and it keeps turning off after the latest update

Options

Hello,

I just updated my Bitdefender to 27.0.16.87 version and it required me to restart my Windows 10 PC. After I did that, I noticed that the BD firewall toggle was off, so I turned it back on but still it didn't work. I tried to close BD and start it again, but the firewall still toggles itself off again.

I checked Windows Firewall and it was actually on instead of BD's firewall, so I turned it off to see if BD would work again this way, but nope, it wouldn't turn on at all.

I reinstalled BD, and the firewall actually worked this time, but as soon as I updated again to the latest version, the same issue occurred; the firewall no longer works in the latest version for me.

Shutting down my PC and restarting also didn't help. The issue is only resolved when I don't update to the latest version.

Answers

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

On the same issue, check out this comment:

Regards.

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello,

Hello,

The fix has just been sent out. You may need to restart your device first, then try a right-click system tray icon update, and it should show the update happening incrementally, i.e. 32% 45% 78% etc, until it updates. A restart is not required.

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello everyone,

Please check for updates as the fix has been deployed.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• As of 27.08 I still have this issue, even if I turn Windows firewall off I can't turn BD firewall on.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Shrinivas,

Check @Aesalon's solution from the below thread:

Let us know if it works for you.

Regards,

Alex

• I did reinstall and now it's working fine.

• i just got bitdefender and the firewall keep going off. so is this isue fixed or am i missing something

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

• Zap
    Zap
    edited January 11
    Options

I also have the problem on Windows 10. The Firewall is off. If I try to turn it on it doesn't work. I checked the Base Filtering Engine and it is set to automatic and is running. I tried resetting the Windows security Center and again the problem remains. I also checked @Aesalon's solution and I do already have "BFE", "mpssvc" in LocalServiceNoNetworkFirewall

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @Zap and thanks for joining us here.

First, may I ask what Bitdefender version you got there? As the UI looks a bit outdated from what we have right now. This is how the Protection menu looks like on my PC:

I would recommend to re-install the latest Bitdefender version available. As for the firewall issue you are experiencing, do you have any other security solutions installed on the device? If yes, these should be removed and following a Windows restart, you can try again to activate Bitdefender Firewall.

If this is not the case, follow the guidelines from this Microsoft article, then restart the computer and try again to activate Bitdefender Firewall:

It concerns the Windows Firewall, but the fix also applies for Bitdefender Firewall.

In the event the above instructions don't make a difference and the firewall is still disabled, try the following:

1. Go to Start -> in the Search bar type regedit and hit the Enter key.

2. In the Registry Editor window browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip

3. Click on Tcpip then look in the right side and search for the Start key. Double click on it and change the Value data to 0.

4. Restart Windows and try again to activate the Firewall.

If this doesn't work, update the network adapter driver. You can install it from the manufacturer's official website or update it from Device Manager: go to Start > in the Search bar type Device Manager and hit Enter > wait for the list to be populated then expand the Newtork adapters entry > right-click on each entry and select Update Driver Software > choose Search automatically for updated driver software. Once the process completes, reboot the computer. Reinstall Bitdefender from Control Panel.

Last but not least, if the firewall still can't be fixed, kindly get in touch with the Bitdefender Support teams for further assistance. You can contact them using the link below:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Scroll down to state your contact reason, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Let us know what worked for you. I hope the information is helpful.

Regards,

Alex

• Zap
    Zap
    edited January 11
    Options

Some time ago my Bitdefender reverted back to this older interface. I don't know why. Can I get a link to a download option for the latest build? If I try to search, I get offers to buy only. I can't figure out how to just download the installer and then reinstall.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi @Zap,

I understand. That's a bit unusual..

Anyway, first you will have to remove the current version completely and the best way to do this is to use the dedicated uninstall tool available at the link below:

Use the unistall tool for Total Security. This way, you will make sure all traces of Bitdefender are removed from the device before proceeding with the fresh installation. Then make sure to remove the respective device from Central as well, so that it doesn't occupy a slot. Go to https://central.bitdefender.com/ and sign in using your account credentials. Then follow the steps from this article:

Afterwards, you can re-install the latest Bitdefender version directly from Central.

Go to to My Devices -> Install Bitdefender products on your device -> Add device.

This could also fix your firewall issue, but I cannot guarantee it. You will only know after installing the latest version and in the event the issue persists, you can resort to the instructions I have provided earlier.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

• Zap
    Options

The uninstall tool said it finished with error and to contact support 😓. Can I get a direct line with you on chat to get this done or should I send a ticket?

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Ok then something is not right there.. Head to the link below to get in touch with the Support teams in this case:

Scroll down to state your contact reason, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more..

• Windows 11. Same problem with the firewall. It just doesn't work and shuts down. Please investigate the issue, I think a company with huge experience in delivering products for Windows OS has an obligation to solve such type problem first.

What I've tried so far:

1. https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2818/
    2. https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/9329/

Neither the BFE guide nor the Windows security guide help to run the firewall on the latest versions of Bitdefender.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @entrealist,

Follow the guideline from this Microsoft article, then restart the computer and try again to activate Bitdefender Firewall:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic

It regards Windows Firewall but the fix also work for Bitdefender Firewall.

If this doesn't help, try the following:

1. Go to Start -> in the Search bar type regedit and hit the Enter key.
    2. In the Registry Editor window browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip
    3. Click on Tcpip then look in the right side and search for the Start key. Double click on it and change the Value data to 0.
    4. Restart Windows and try again to activate the Firewall.

Another possible solution to consider if the above instructions don't fix the issue is to update the network adapter driver.

You can install it from the manufacturer's official website or update it from Device Manager:

Go to Start -> in the Search bar type Device Manager and hit Enter -> wait for the list to be populated then expand the Newtork adapters entry -> right-click on each entry and select Update Driver Software.

Choose Search automatically for updated driver software. Once the process completes reboot the computer.

Reinstall Bitdefender from Control Panel.

If the issue still persists, then I think it's a task for the Support engineers, because more information might be required from the affected machine in order to troubleshoot this behavior. Head to the link below to get in touch with them and explain the issue along with the steps taken so far:

Let us know what works for you and what was the root cause.

I hope the information is helpful.

Regards,

Alex