Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

New Process asking for full disk access

Options

Greetings, all.

BitDefender just did a feature update (to 10.0.0.16, it seems) and on reboot it is again asking me to give full disk access to a program component. Antivirus for Mac and Bitdefender already had full disk access according to the computer, but there is a new process (at least I think it is new) that does not yet have access, called "Core Security."

Just making sure that this is a legitimate BitDefender process and that it is an expected behavior, and that I should grant this full access.

Of note, if the process previously existed, the program seemed to work fine without its having full access.

Comments

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @sleepdoc,

Normally, Bitdefender should no longer require full disk access if this was granted before. It is only if the permissions are removed that they will be required again. For more context, this tutorial explains how to grant full disk access for Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac in macOS Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, and Sonoma and what to do if Bitdefender still requests full disk access after updating to macOS Ventura, for example:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/14812/

If the information doesn't help, I would recommend contacting the Technical Support Teams, as more information might be required to troubleshoot this. You can get in touch with the Bitdefender engineers by choosing one of the contact channels listed here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

State your contact reason, then choose from the available contact channels, chat, phone and email/ticket. Chat would be the fastest way to reach them.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• sleepdoc
    Options

I will email support.

Of note, the two processes that previously had full disk access still did so: Antivirus for Mac and Bitdefender. I suspect that this Core Security is a new component of product version 10.0.0.16 which is why it did not have access before. The file source for the process lives in the bitdefender folder so I suspect it is legitimate but I will let everyone know what the support team says.

• sleepdoc
    Options

According to support, the process is legitimate and should be given access.

• sleepdoc
    Options

According to the support team, “The "Core Security" process is indeed a legitimate component of Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac. This includes real-time virus scanning, which continuously monitors your system for malware, ransomware protection to safeguard your files from encryption by ransomware, and safe browsing to ensure you're not visiting malicious websites.

To ensure your Mac's security, it's recommended to grant full disk access to this new "core security" process, especially since it's located in the Bitdefender folder and carries the Bitdefender logo. This aligns with the expected behavior when Bitdefender updates its software and requires additional permissions to maintain or enhance protection levels."

So for those of you who are being asked again to grant full disk access after the 10.0.0.16 update to Antivirus for Mac, this may be why, and the issue should be mitigated by granting this new "core security" full access.

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Thanks for sharing @sleepdoc 👍️

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• wynsmth
    Options

I am getting this notice when I open Bitdefender that I need to give full disk access but I still have v10.0.0. Why is this happening & is it legitimate?