Intruders

I have unknown phones and tablets appearing on my network. Repeatedly and I cannot get rid of them (PW changes etc). See attachments 2,3,4.

Malwarebytes and BD scans do not show any virus..

I have a laptop PC running WIN10 and BD2017(internet). My network consists of a Verizon Actiontec router  with radio off and ethernet cable connections only, (The Actiontec is also needed for my TV and landlines to work). A Netgear AC1450 connected to the Actiontec by an ethernet cable and strong login PWs. The settings on Actiontec are to use the Netgear as local wifi station. PC is cable-connected to AC1450 and wifi on PC disabled.

A check on the Actiontec shows unknown entity changing  my security settings ( see attachment 1).

When I change PW on the Actiontec-- my internet connections AND TV both slowdown or malfunction---Verizon blames it on the changes made at my end and replaces the router. I infer that Verizon WANTS unfettered access to my network so they can unload and update firmware on my settop box (STB -- which they own and control).

I am collecting the MAC addr of all the devices in my house --  but I am reluctant to restrict access based on that.

The purpose of this note is to assess the threat and explore options.

Second -- what level of security does BD internet provide other than encrypting communications?

Screenshot (18).png

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (17).png

Comments

• Hello ksheer2. Welcome to Bitdefender forums. default_happy.png

"On first sight" I would tell you to strengthen up your firewall rules.

I you are using windows firewall, try finding specific ports and block it in inbound rules.

If you don`t accomplish your goal I recommend using BD Total security, since it has very nice firewall embedded.

• thank you for the suggestion. not tech savvy  but will try.

• Hello,

On 4/21/2017 at 5:06 PM, ksheer2 said:

When I change PW on the Actiontec-- my internet connections AND TV both slowdown or malfunction---Verizon blames it on the changes made at my end and replaces the router. I infer that Verizon WANTS unfettered access to my network so they can unload and update firmware on my settop box (STB -- which they own and control).

It would seem you have a generic password and that can be the cause of all this.

Some ISPs are known to offer "free wi-fi" and this might actually be the cause you're getting phones connected into your network.