Cannot disabale some features (file extensions/task manager).

Anandir
Anandir
edited May 2022 in General Topics

Good evening,

I'm here to have some clarifications.

It's a little while since I can't hide the file extensions from the File Manager. I know, 'cause I've read something in this forum, that it's a security feature of the antivirus to prevent the that an exe could mimic another file (like a PDF in example). But I consider myself a power user and I'm pretty aware of this problem, but I prefer to use my system with the file extensions hidden. But has been a while since I can't hide them anymore. As I un-thick the option, immediately it goes back to the thick version.

Another thing that I've noticed is that I can't replace the standard Task Manager with the trusted Process Explorer (from the SysInternals Suite). Again if I try to replace the Task Manager, a message prompts me that I can't do that. Something like: "Can't replace Task Manager: Access Denied".

To me, those two features are pretty annoying. Is it possible to disable these features? I didn't find the possibility in the main program UI.

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips you can provide me 😊!

Best regards

Giacomo

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Kindly post your question in microsoft community (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us) or contact microsoft support (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us) since this issue is not related to bitdefender. Also, the SysInternals Suite is developed by microsoft, hence they are the only ones who will be able to help you.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Thanks to your kind reply.

But according to this thread :

It's something Bitdefender-related.

But I will try to check also the Microsoft site.

Thanks a lot 😊.

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmirakhur @Alexandru_BD

Sorry, guys, but the OP is right, it is related to Bitdefender.

The same thing happened to me when i had Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit installed on my laptop and i think i wrote a comment/post about it, but i'm not sure.

Right after installing Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit on my laptop, i unticked the option for showing the file extensions. But, after every System Scan, the extensions for known file types will suddenly show. Then, i again i was unticking the option to show the extension, but without any success. After 1 or 2 minutes the option was automatically ticked, without me doing it manually and again the extensions were shown.

To solve the issue first i had to untick the option and then do a Windows restart. After the restart, the file extensions were not shown anymore.

Just to repeat, it happened ONLY after System Scan and only on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit.

Since i moved to Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, the problem has gone. Not even after every System Scan.

So, it could be a bug with Windows 7 or Windows 7 SP1.

@Anandir

First, take screenshot(s) of the issue and create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:

Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail here (scroll down to the bottom of the page):

with short description of the issue.

After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.

Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log file you already created in the first step.

Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution to fix the issue.

Remember that the screenshot(s) and the log file will help a lot to the support engineers for better and faster investigation on your issue and finding a solution.

Regards.

• @Gjoksi , thanks for your reply.

I've made a full system scan and after that everything is back to normal.

I hope this will help somebody in the future.

I have a Windows 10 Home edition 64bit.

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Giacomo

• Wow, the efforts to ignore this problem are outrageous. This issue has cropped up all over the interwebs since 2011 and the common concensus has always been "its bitdefender related"...maybe BitDefender knows this, does not have a solution, and thinks if they ignore us, the problem will go away? LOL sorry, still here!

I did a full system scan two days ago...first time I ever did the full scan.

Took an entire day to complete.

After that my file extensions are visible and none of the controls to hide extensions will work.

I contacted Support Chat (another nightmare experience) and got no where. I was first directed to reveal what other "Security Solutions" I was using...I assume that means "antivirus"?...of which I have no other. Then I was given directions to instructions on how to turn off every aspect of my bitdefender (took me forever!) only to find, it did not fix the problem. So, I turned everything back on (what a pain) and then got told I would have to submit some sort of report...I'm actually still waiting for the email (with the report form) I was promised immediately after the chat session.

Honestly, this is pathetic. The Bitdefender website is so slow and troublesome to navigate...the solutions are not there...Chat is an absolute joke (slow, pointless)...and the bitdefender denial knob is turned up to 11. I am really seeing no reason to sign up for a second year of this antivirus.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Hello @airdave and welcome to the Community! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Some disinfection routines performed by Bitdefender require a restart to complete.

Therefore, if the Hidden files settings are no longer available after a scan, please restart your PC, after which they will be available once again. If, for some reason, the reboot does not fix the problem, follow the instructions presented below to show hidden files:

For Windows 10 and 11

• Click on the Windows Start menu in the lower-left corner and type folder.

• Select File Explorer Options from the search results.

• Select the View tab.

• Under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Then click Apply.

For Windows 8 and 8.1

• Point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then select Search

• Type folder in the search box and select Folder Options from the search results.

• Select the View tab.

• Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, then click Apply.

For Windows 7

• Click the Start button, then select Control Panel.

• Click on Appearance and Personalization.

• Select Folder Options, then select the View tab.

• Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, then click Apply.

Checking if another antivirus is installed along Bitdefender on the devices is standard procedure for the Support Teams when troubleshooting, because having two or more security solutions installed at the same time can have a negative impact on your computer. The symptoms may include but are not limited to degraded performance, system crashes, and software errors.

In regards to scanning, the speed of a System Scan depends on many factors such as system specifications, large volumes of data, if the computer resources are in use by another software, if it’s the first scan since installing Bitdefender and, most importantly, the number of archives & over-compressed files/backups. With every system scan, Bitdefender will index the files that have already been scanned and the scan time will greatly decrease.

To speed up a System Scan, if system resources are not a concern, the following solution may be considered: run the scan in high priority mode. This will instruct Bitdefender to compete for system resources on equal terms to other programs and decrease the time needed for the scan process to finish.

1. Click Protection on the navigation menu on the Bitdefender interface.

2. In the Antivirus panel, click Open.

3. Click the ••• button next to System Scan, then choose Edit.

4. In the Manage Scans window, use the drop-down menu to change Scan task priority from Low to High.

5. Click Next, then click Save.

6. Press Run Scan and wait for the System Scan to finish.

I could not reproduce any slowdown on the Bitdefender website. If the internet connection is not a concern, the main causes of browsing slowdowns are toolbars, different add-ons and plug-ins, adware and list goes on. Are you also encountering a general slowdown of the machine and can you reproduce this behavior on any other websites?

Going forward, I have raised the priority of your inquiry and asked our engineers to respond on the open case as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• LOL you don't think I know how to adjust Folder Options? I made it to Windows 10, didn't I. I learned that back in Windows XP!

And you forgot to mention that in Win 10, open any folder, click View at the top, and you can check/uncheck "hide file extensions".

As I stated in another thread, and as all those with this problem have stated, the check/uncheck for file extensions will not work. Bitdefender is stopping it from working...it doesn't work.

• Yes, now I've seen the reply on the ticket, it seems that your request was escalated to Tier 3 technical recently..

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Greetings to everyone.

I have been a computer professional ever since the first IBM PC came on the market over 40 years ago.

After 12 years with Kaspersky, a few weeks ago I decided (for reasons that are not relevant in this forum) to move to another product.

I urgently needed multiple licenses for a bunch of elderly & inexperienced PC users so I focused primarily on products rated as offering the highest levels of reliable malware prevention as well as a simple enough interface to not intimidate a novice user.

I have no complaints about the level of security provided or the simplicity of your GUI.

Yet I also experience this problem with Bitdefender repeatedly modifying my folder preferences and although I understand that hiding file extensions "may" present a vulnerability I cannot understand how you can possibly neglect adding "Manage Exclusions" to the "Vulnerability Scan" settings.

That ... is what causes this issue…. And in itself that’s not a bug. It is doing what it was designed to do: find vulnerabilities & fix them.

The only fix is to include a program setting where we can choose if Bitdefender should take action automatically or “PROMPT for action” us when it perceives a threat or vulnerability.

Another example is automatically quarantining files without first offering the option to add them to exclusions.

Bitdefender generates an endless list of repetitive & irrelevant "notifications" for the most inconsequential of actions yet not about changing our operating system settings or asking what action we prefer.

We cannot even back up our configuration settings… I mean really.

Respectfully,

Malandrinu

• NeoMax
    edited August 2023

Same here, unable to select "Don't show hidden files, folders and drives" and "Hide extensions for known files types".. is there any solution for this ?