Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

BD Support

Options

PC got malware which claimed to be a notification from Windows Defender. It locked the PC and would like me call a number. I looked the malware up on the WEB and it is known and discussed. Based on WEB info rebooted in safe mode and tried to run a scan but BD could not run the scan in safe mode w/o internet. At that point I called BD support. Tech claimed he was familiar with this virus and there was a simple removal process. Ultimately, his solution to my issue was that he emailed me a procedure to run BDsyslog which generated log in a zip file. Took 20-30 minutes. I left the room, and the program finished and didn't tell me where it left the file. I figured that out, uploaded the file and am now waiting for a "higher level" tech to email me back hopefully with a solution. No time frame provided BTW.

I'm completely UNsatisfied with this support. It's a known malware. Why couldn't we run the procedure while I was there at the computer with the tech. How I let him hang up I don't know but I don't think I'd have gotten anywhere.

BTY, I didn't find any mention of this malware in BD's support page.

So that's where I am as of this writing. I'm sure I'll get this worked out but I'm not sure I'll be renewing BD Total Security again (pretty long time customer too).

HowBand

Tagged:

Comments

• Gjoksi
    Gjoksi DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2022 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello.

Wait for a response here from @Alexandru_BD (who works for Bitdefender).

Regards.

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Options

While @Alexandru_BD will respond shortly, it's important to understand that the logs you've submitted to support are further escalated to either developers or malware researchers, depending on the issues they're related to. Once the respective department receives them, they carefully examine the information provided in the logs, which can take some time. Once they've thoroughly investigated and are confident in the resolution, they pass it on to the support team, who then communicate it to you. The maximum response time for support is typically 72 hours excluding weekends, but this timeline can be extended depending on the complexity of the issue and the thoroughness of the log review. Additionally, the team responsible for reviewing your logs may be handling other cases simultaneously, and all tickets are addressed in the order they're received.

Regards

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hello @HowBand,

I think @Flexx summed it up pretty well.

To add here, some inquiries can be resolved on the spot by the Support engineers, while others require further escalation to other teams who are either more qualified to address the request at hand, or have elevated permissions to do so. As it happens with all Support inquiries, there's always a queue and the cases are handled on a FIFO basis ("First In, First Out") and the usual response timeframe may vary depending on the workload, available staff and business hours, but you should normally expect a response between 24-48h business hours, sometimes up to 72h or even more, again, depending on the complexity of the case and teams involved.

The Support teams will get back to you as soon as possible.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Alex

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• HowBand
    Options

Thank you for your response however I am NOT AT ALL satisfied with how this is being handled. For a well know malware (which discussed on the Internet), having to wait an unknown amount of time for a fix from you is not acceptable for me. What am I paying you for? Been paying you MANY for years and I finally need some help - and I have a PC that we cannot use until whenever you get back to me.

Maybe you need more help I do!

• Flexx
    Options

Can you tell us what kind of malware it is, the name of the malware, or provide the links that you found on the web?

Regards

• Alexandru_BD
    Options

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. For what it's worth, there may be busier periods when Support teams receive more requests than usual, so delays may occur sometimes.

• HowBand
    edited May 16
    Options

I have explained it all to the technician on the phone. I've explained it here. Have you read this thread completely? I've also sent BD the log and another explanation of what happened. Come on! Do you people talk to each other?

Here's some items from the web about it:

Aug 11, 2023 — The Windows Defender Security Notification that is locking up your computer is a scam that tries to trick you into calling a fake customer ...Windows defender security center has popped up on my ...Jan 4, 2023Microsoft Defender How to Remove a Virus That Was FoundSep 19, 2023found some malware windows defender removing itOct 29, 2016Windows Defender, notification saying it has found malware ...Dec 11, 2017More results from answers.microsoft.com

https://cybernews.com/malware/remove-windows-defender-security-warning/

• Flexx
    edited May 18
    Options
    I have explained it all to the technician on the phone. I've explained it here. Have you read this thread completely? I've also sent BD the log and another explanation of what happened. Come on! Do you people talk to each other?

There is a difference between getting in touch with support and asking a query on the forum. The forum has only a limited number of Bitdefender staff, who are available occasionally since they also work with different internal departments. What you tell the support will not be disclosed to the moderators or even the admins of the forum.

The Windows Defender Security Notification 

Kindly check if the following steps help.

1) Make use of Bitdefender Rescue Environment https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/29132/

2) Remove Adware, pop-ups, and browser redirects from your Windows PC:  https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2574/

3) Open the Run command and execute the following commands one by one:

temp – delete all the files in the folder.

%temp% – delete all the files in the folder.

prefetch – delete all the files in the folder.

4) Reset the Windows host file to default. You can find instructions here:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-reset-the-hosts-file-back-to-the-default-c2a43f9d-e176-c6f3-e4ef-3500277a6dae

5) Run Disk Cleanup using this guide:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/disk-cleanup-in-windows-8a96ff42-5751-39ad-23d6-434b4d5b9a68

6) If there is any malware that Bitdefender is unable to detect, kindly try the online scanners of other vendors as listed below.

ESET: https://www.eset.com/in/home/online-scanner/

F-Secure: https://www.f-secure.com/en/online-scanner

TrendMicro: https://www.trendmicro.com/en_in/forHome/products/housecall.html

NOTE: This may or may not resolve your issue. If it does, it might be a temporary fix or a permanent solution. However, it is still necessary to wait for a response from support.

Is it possible for you to share the name of the malware that is being detected by going into the Windows Defender app?

Regards

• Alexandru_BD
    Alexandru_BD admin
    edited May 17
    Options

@HowBand did you receive a response from the Support teams already? Yesterday, I've asked our technical leads to prioritize your case. To answer your question, yes, we do talk to each other, but keep in mind that this is a forum and not a direct line to consumer service. Here you will find a comprehensive knowledge base covering all Bitdefender products, support articles, workarounds, instructions and troubleshooting steps, and these are all provided courtesy of volunteers and users such as yourself.

In the event a solution is not found in the community, usually more information is required for troubleshooting, such as logs coming from the product and in some cases, remote intervention must be carried. This will help the engineers obtain a better understanding of the context and the circumstances involved. Such specific operations cannot be carried on the public forum, thus it is recommended to contact the Bitdefender Support Teams, for a detailed investigation.

Now to your next question, yes, I've read the complete thread and I'm fully aware of that windows defender scam. But this doesn't mean that I have access to your device, nor that I can know exactly the extent of the damage caused by that malware on your PC. Neither of us do, we can simply provide you with basic troubleshooting steps that may or may not work depending on how bad the situation is. The rest is up to the Bitdefender engineers to investigate and advise on the next steps.

I hope things are clearer now and we've set the right expectations here. I do hope that the situation gets resolved swiftly.

Regards,

Alex