Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Bitdefender Services Are Not Responding. Please Restart...

Options

Comments

• ok here is what I did and this has kept BD running about 95% of the time. What you need to do is download CCcleaner (registry cleaner). get it on your comp as quickly as you can. Then do the BD uninstall tool. Restart comp. Then when your back up with no AV protection, run the cc registry cleaner. I found 5 or 6 lines of BD still on my system! Delete those mofos, then restart again. Now reinstalled BD. Once its back and working, go to expert mode --> settings tab --> turn off antiphishing. Then go to the update tab in BD and click settings, change it to every 4 hours.

Since taking these steps my BD has been working about 95 percent of the time. I've had the gray ball error on and off for about a year, but now it seems to be mostly gone. Try these steps. I hope it helps you. BD was a good product but 2010 it started going to ######. I hope they get this corrected so future users do not have to put up with all this crap. Casual customers will never come back.

• ######. I thought my PC freezing when I started up saw cos it was old, and couldn't cope with BD updates very well. After reading some of the comments here I'm not very confidant with installing BD on my new Windows 7 PC.

Starting to feel stupid for paying to have a virus free, bug rampant PC.

• ... BD on Windows XP has continued to behave itself since the registry clean-up (following uninstall & before re-install) on 30th December. I can only conclude that the BitDefender_Uninstall_Tool.exe didn't do as thorough job as I'd hoped it should... tut tut.

...... & see post 104

This certainly solved my issues. It was a bit of a pain having to go through the process of uninstalling and re-cleaning the registry with Ccleaner, ... but a lot less bother than having BD hang frequently. I'd be interested to hear how many others have had a resolution following the above advice.

Also, ..... if this solves a lot of users issues, .... I'd be interested to hear from the BD team, as to whether the uninstall tool will be updated to complete a thorough uninstall in the near future???

Cheers.

• Hello all,

We are sorry for the delay of our answer and we hope to assist you in a timely fashion from now on. We would like to take advantage of this opportunity to convey our apologies in regards to the situation created.

cjm1979, kungfu, Derek Ross: Due to the high number of possible hardware and software configurations some of BitDefender users may run into various faulty situations. In order to be able to properly identify the causes for these reported situations the technical support team needs some pieces of information regarding the operating system and BitDefender's presence on the respective computer.

Therefore please be so kind as to follow the steps from this article in order to provide us with the necessary information. We will further investigate this situation and provide you with a solution.

Note: If you follow the steps from the article an email will be sent automatically to our Technical Support Team. You will also receive an automatic reply with a Ticket ID in the subject. Please provide me with your ticket id in order to speed up the analyzing process.

Edelia: Unfortunately I am not able to find the email where you received those steps searching by the email address you have used to create this forum account. Could you please send me a PM with the Ticket ID received in the subject or the email address you have used?

Jim Crutchfield: We are very sorry for the negative experience you had with our services. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you experience any issue or if you have any question and we will be more than glad to assist you.

Please note that the reports you have chosen to send to BitDefender are only for testing purposes. This is the reason why you did not receive any email. In order to contact the BitDefender Customer/Technical Service team we recommend you to use this form.

The 'BitDefender services are not responding' message can be caused by different cases. Usually you are receiving this error message because the vsserv.exe (the main BitDefender process) is not working properly or it cannot communicate correctly with other BitDefender processes.

Since you are also receiving some crashes from BitDefender we kindly ask you to browse to this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BitDefender\Desktop\Temp

(if you have Windows XP)

or

C:\ProgramData\BitDefender\Desktop\Temp

(if you have Windows Vista or 7)

Please upload on Sendspace the files from this folder and send me a PM with the download link.

shpshftr: Since the supporttool is not working on your computer we kindly ask you to access this link.

Please upload the diagnostic reports on Sendspace and send me a PM with the download links or use this form in order to send them directly to the Technical Support Team and send me a PM with the Ticket ID received in the subject.

boothy99: Usually the 'Services are not responding' error message is cased by other security solutions (remaining files due to incomplete uninstalling process), processes which could enter in conflict with BitDefender or an incomplete installation of BitDefender. This is why this issue can be solved with a reinstall (using the uninstall tool) and a registry cleaner.

Regarding the uninstall tool, we are working to improve this tool and the latest version for it will always be updated to www.bitdefender.com/uninstall. If you have any feature requests or any comments please be so kind as to let us know and we will forward them to the appropriate department.

Thank you.

• Thanks for that comprehensive response, Carmen. Much appreciated.

• I have been a BitDefender users for many years and have minor issues, but nothing as MAJOR as this.

Why wasn't this product throughly tested with various configurations before release to the public who PAY FOR THIS PRODUCT TO WORK on their PC, and protect other users against security breaches / malware, and numerous other vulnerabilities.

Why hasn't a patch been released instead of all this messing around with Sendspace links etc, this just wastes time .. and is extremely customer UNFRIENDLY!!

There should be no need to know customers configurations, as the previous 2009 version worked well on those PC's .. so, obvoiusly, by my powers of deduction that leaves 2010 to blame.

Again .. why hasn't a patch, or an update been released to resolve this extremely critical error resulting in putting countless customers computers in danger whilst the sercies "Do Not Respond" every time the PC has been boot up.

Sort it out .. or send a refund because this is a nightmare !!

• suklje
    Options

Hello,

i had the exact same problem, and after a few weeks of "no replies" from bitdefender and constantly sending those diagnostic tools, i decided to test total security 2009 and it works perfectly. i'm using it for about 4 weeks now, and i had none of the problems mentioned above. I think i'll wait for licence to expire and then buy something else.

best regards

• Edelia
    Options

Thanks Carmen - have sent you a PM and also re-did the supporttool.exe and have uploaded it to sendspace and sent you the link.

Thank you and I hope you can sort out this issue quickly.

• Hi Carmen,

I also sent you a PM a couple days ago with the Sendspace links for the files you requested. I haven't heard anything back, did you get them?

• dave r
    Options

Well on my xp sp2 o/s not only was there this issue, but from nowhere came a problem with the game mode also no games in the games list, any games that i entered where not saved

also bd would after 1-2 secs turn gray after a re start, and would take a min or more to load completely(turn red)

my solution was to uninstall it and after clearing all the junk it leaves in the registry (even using the installer tool)

• Hello Edelia and shpshftr,

We have sent you an email with the steps you need to follow in order to solve this issue. Please be so kind as to reply to my email and let me know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

• Ok... To me this a fairly serious problem so I tried the Live Chat support, They said to use the "repair utility" and that would fix the problem. I tried it, I didn't work...so I decided to do the "Last Resort" and I called. I was told "BD would not run correctly if there is any other security programs running with it." I asked, "Like what programs are considered security programs?" The reply went like this, "Adaware, Zonealarm, PcTools Registry Mechanic or any registry cleaner, Malwarebytes, any other antivirus or firewall program." I had Malwarebytes and Registry Mechanic. So I uninstalled both of them and tried again....well guess what, I still have the same problem! lol My daughter is running ESET antivirus and there have been none of these issues with Win7. I don't think I will be renewing my subscription....BDAV does not play nice with other programs unrelated to anti-virus....

On my XP machine BDAV just started having problems with updates...it shows there is an update available but right after it reports the size of the update it attempts to connect and comes back with "None." I don't know people, but it seems BDAV is becoming unstable and I wouldn't trust it, at least for now...

I still have not heard back from Carmen either...

• Ok... To me this a fairly serious problem so I tried the Live Chat support, They said to use the "repair utility" and that would fix the problem. I tried it, I didn't work...so I decided to do the "Last Resort" and I called. I was told "BD would not run correctly if there is any other security programs running with it." I asked, "Like what programs are considered security programs?" The reply went like this, "Adaware, Zonealarm, PcTools Registry Mechanic or any registry cleaner, Malwarebytes, any other antivirus or firewall program." I had Malwarebytes and Registry Mechanic. So I uninstalled both of them and tried again....well guess what, I still have the same problem! lol My daughter is running ESET antivirus and there have been none of these issues with Win7. I don't think I will be renewing my subscription....BDAV does not play nice with other programs unrelated to anti-virus....

On my XP machine BDAV just started having problems with updates...it shows there is an update available but right after it reports the size of the update it attempts to connect and comes back with "None." I don't know people, but it seems BDAV is becoming unstable and I wouldn't trust it, at least for now...

I still have not heard back from Carmen either...

No e-mail yet...I PM'd my address to you again...

• Still no e-mail from Carmen. According to the PM tracker in this forum Carmen has not even read the two messages I sent already. That includes the message I sent with the files I uploaded to Sendspace. I am at a loss here. How can Carmen know what's wrong and how to fix the problem if He/she isn't even looking at what I send?

• i'm having the same issue with 2010 internet security on both my laptop and desktop both running win7 64 pro.

the laptop is a very new install.

this is a show stopper of an issue, what good is security software that is never actually running?

i've given it a few weeks hoping for an update that fixes this issue, i always send bug reports, and this issue still persists?

i used to recommend BD to friends and family but i can't do that in good faith if this issue isn't fixed soon.

• What i recently found out by error, is that if your BD 2010 isn't responding and the icon is grayed out, try doing a right click context scan .. this seems to kick BD into life, slowly. Shouldn't be like this tho .. there should be a fix, not even any word about wokring on patches. Shocking for a company !!

• What i recently found out by error, is that if your BD 2010 isn't responding and the icon is grayed out, try doing a right click context scan .. this seems to kick BD into life, slowly. Shouldn't be like this tho .. there should be a fix, not even any word about wokring on patches. Shocking for a company !!

lol your suggestion to bring it back to life actually worked.

I still have to start BD services manually... start/run/services.msc/ BitDefender Desktop Update Service (right mouse 'Start') and BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) (right mouse 'Start') every time I start my computer.

The services start right up, but only when started manually. This is what I have to do in Win7 32bit, my XP machine is working fine...more or less, the update service has been in and out on BD's side of the server for the last several days...

• I still have to start BD services manually... start/run/services.msc/ BitDefender Desktop Update Service (right mouse 'Start') and BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) (right mouse 'Start') every time I start my computer.

The services start right up, but only when started manually. This is what I have to do in Win7 32bit, my XP machine is working fine...more or less, the update service has been in and out on BD's side of the server for the last several days...

Once the services are set to "Automatic" they should start at boot, otherwise something may be corrupting your registry. Try downloading HijackThis to scan your PC's start up files and processes, then upload that log to HijackThis website, it's then analysed for nasties or not.

• Once the services are set to "Automatic" they should start at boot, otherwise something may be corrupting your registry. Try downloading HijackThis to scan your PC's start up files and processes, then upload that log to HijackThis website, it's then analysed for nasties or not.

I would think the BD team would have discovered something if there was something there...I have sent the BDFileInfo.log and the sysdump.tar twice. Have you ever seen what's in those files? I mean EVERYTHING about your computer is in there!

sysdump.tar.

OS Version

System Information

Installed Software

IP Addresses

Network Parameters

Adapters Information

ARP Table

IP Statistics

TCP Statistics

UDP Statistics

UDP Listener

TCP Listener

ICMP Statistics

IP Routing Table

Processes and Modules

Device Drivers

Registry

MSI Installed Software

And it has every imaginable detail to each one of those topics. 4.5 mb of text!

The BDFileInfo.log file has 107 pages of 12pt font with 11,335 words laying out all the Bit Defenders files and locations. Every bitmap, jpeg, dll, exe, inf, sys file, cat, dat, and xml having anything to do with the program itself.

I am tired of having to do BD's work for them every time something goes wrong. You practically have to have a PHD in computer science to run BitDefender on your computer these days. The program has become too easily disabled for it to be a practical anti-virus solution. They even deleted one of my posts in this forum last night because I was calling Carmen on the fact he/she said they sent an e-mail when both of us know he/she didn't. Today I called and talked to Stacey and was told the same thing again "I have escalated your call, you Will receive an e-mail within 24-48 hours...I swear!" Well that's the third time I have called and have been told that very same thing. I have been trying to remedy this problem since February 28th and have not received even one e-mail...not even one that says "Please give us more time, we're stumped." lol All I want to do is get it running for the next 275 days (What's left to my subscription) or a refund and then I will 'move on...'

I might try your suggestion just for the ###### of it...this is a new win7 32bit install and the only place I have been is here in this forum. I have to use my XP machine to get e-mail or browse the internet because it has a working anti-virus. I seriously doubt I picked up a bug here..however at this point I wouldn't rule it out... :blink:

I appreciate your suggestion either way...

• Once the services are set to "Automatic" they should start at boot, otherwise something may be corrupting your registry. Try downloading HijackThis to scan your PC's start up files and processes, then upload that log to HijackThis website, it's then analysed for nasties or not.

I tried HjackThis and only got two "no file" lines. I ran it through the parser at http://hjt.networktechs.com/ The log was really short and I could identify every line in it except the "no file" lines. I was hoping for more, that's for sure. I am totally stumped on this one...there is no reason for the BD services not to start up that I can see.

The only other thing I can think of is something with the registration. I bought a two year 3 computer subscription. I only used two of the three until now (this is my 4th-5th year with Bitdefender) . I wonder if all these installs and uninstalls have an effect on how the BD server interprets the number of computers on one account. I am grasping at any possibilities because the original two computers are working fine...but then they are both XP machines.

Still no word from support...

• Hello Edelia and shpshftr,

We have sent you an email with the steps you need to follow in order to solve this issue. Please be so kind as to reply to my email and let me know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

It's fixed. It was a registry issue. But if BD wants to know the answer they will have to try to contact me! lol Took me 13 days, and talking to all my geek buddies to fix the problem but I figured it out and I am surprised the BD team couldn't... You guys really need to work on your support issues...not responding is the single worse thing you can do.

• kentix
    Options

This is a problem with me, too. If there is a fix, I need it.

Anybody with BitDefender who can help me?

Anybody outside BitDefender who can help me?

Basically, my services stop running about every 24 to 48 hours. Sometimes they can be revived using the trick above, i.e. pick a file at random on the computer and right click it and Scan with BitDefender.

Many times, if I do that, the service indicator will turn red again about four or five seconds after I close the scan window when the scan is done.

Other times, though, that doesn't help either and I have to reboot the whole computer to get BitDefender working again.

This is only a problem with AntiVirus 2010. I still have 2009 on another computer and it's working fine.

My operating system is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. I have no other security software running except Windows Defender running automatically in Windows 7 (I think). I have 2 Gb of RAM and never have memory problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have been using BitDefender happily for four or five years but have already been forced to recommend other products to customers of mine since I can't honestly recommend BitDefender at this time. I can't tell people to install a product I know is seriously flawed. It would be unethical and it would give me a huge headache in customer support to have to deal with this problem every two days from someone different. So BitDefender, you're going to lose business in chunks if you don't find a resolution for this that doesn't require going through tech support one computer at a time. It's a serious issue that you should have resolved by now.

Kent

• shpshftr@netzero.net
    edited March 2010
    Options

Final Update:

I never received even so much as a peep from BD Central on issue: 201003111008449 as promised 3 times. I think the solution to all these issues is to move on. Bitdefender is following other companies with all things to all people bloatware and the "Invisible Support" phenomenon. I did learn one HUGE lesson from this whole ordeal however...if you want to find a really good Antivirus or Security solution, just go to the support forums of the programs your interested in and see what the customers are complaining about. See how fast the support team responds and how they respond. I have about 250 days left on my current subscription with BD and I have already found one of the most amazing support forms I've ever seen...I know where I'll be going that's for sure!

I wish all Bitdefender customers the best of luck...you'll need it!

• Hi all,

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, and I apologize for that, but I feel the need to address it. During random periods when I am surfing the Web on Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer, BitDefender will "gray out" and it says the services are not responding. It has been making Internet surfing extremely slow, and it will take about 5 minutes for the services to come back online. This happens around 3-5 times a day, and it is very inconvenient. I am operating on Windows XP. Any assistance on fixing this issue would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

• Hello all,

Brandito & kentix:

In order to be able to help you with this issue please be so kind as to follow the steps bellow:

1. Open My Computer/Computer;

2. Browse to:

C:\Program Files\BitDefender\BitDefender 2010

- considering that BitDefender was installed on the default C partition;

3. Doubleclick on the supporttool.exe file. (in case you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click on the the supporttool.exe file and choose Run as administrator)

4. Click on Next, wait a few minutes for the progress bar to complete and then click on Finish .

5. Go to Sendspace and upload the report saved on your desktop;

6. We have also sent you an email with these steps. Please send me a PM with the download link or reply to my email.

Alzaman: Please be so kind as to download this tool on your computer and extract it. When you are receiving the 'BitDefender Services are not responding' error message please run it and let us know if the issue persists.

This tool will stop and restart the bdagent.exe, the BitDefender process in charge with the icon and the popup messages.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

• shpshftr@netzero.net
    edited March 2010
    Options

I got a reply from Carmen today via PM in this forum because of several failed attempts at sending me e-mail...(reason unknown) I had already fixed the problem, but I appreciate getting a response...any response. However, the suggestions provided were not the solution. You know...uninstall all third party software, uninstall and reinstall...etc etc..bla bla bal...lol Ok...I exaggerated...but the list is too long. *Norton* (all programs), Zonealarm firewall, PC Tools Registry Mechanic...just to name a few I had...I had Norton Ghost 2003, registry mechanic and Zonealarm...but phone support said "all registry cleaners, all security programs, all maintenance programs not native to the OS." Wow! I uninstalled all I had early on after calling phone support....as luck would have it, there was no fix to the problem.

My own solution not only fixed the start up problem, but I can run all the programs I bought too!! How novel!

But at this point I am going to let BD Central off the hook... My solution was changing a windows setting back to the default setting in the registry. When I first installed windows7 I was getting 10 -15 minute boot times. I found out through changing the timeout from 30000ms to 10000ms decreased my boot time by half but I was also getting 20+ errors registering in the event viewer log.. So.. I hit the forums to find out what the **** was gong on. I never found out a definitive answer...I just removed Zonealarm and walla!! 20 -30 second bootup times...but BD stopped starting at that point... It seems BD needs more time than 10000ms to start. So I set the start time allocation back to 30000ms (windows default) and guess what...BD is as stable as a rock and my bootup times are now in the 20-30 second range with no errors. Seems Zonealarm pushes many programs beyond the 30000ms time out allocation and they end up not starting.

Yes...as much as I hate to admit it...it was user error...something BD support has to deal with in 90%+ of the time. Non-the-less, support response was at best really bad... During this whole thing I have been looking at other popular anti-virus forums and I gotta say, BD is one of the worst. It seems the bigger they are the worse they get at customer service. My suggestion is to stay with the hard working smaller companies like I did when I first bought Bitdefender anti-virus over 3 years ago.

• Well I see this post has reached 15k views and 176 posts and still no solution. It comes as no surprise though since this has been a known problem for 2 years! yes 2 years starting back with there 2009 version. you can go back to the 2009 product forums and see people complaining about this same issue.

It is a waste of time posting here because even if you are lucky enough to get a response back its just going to be nothing but a temporary workaround. They are no closer to a solution to this problem then they were a year ago, in fact it only seems to be getting worse in the 2010 version. For those holding out hope that they will get the 2011 version correct don't hold your breath. They say they will have the issue fixed in the next update but in reality they are just trying to sell you false hope.

I mean what other company do you know of that has to keep releasing MAJOR updates throughout the year to fix all its problems? I understand that it takes time to figure out a solution to some problems but its been over a year and only getting worse which is just unacceptable to me and I'm sure a lot of other people. It's just time to accept the fact that Bit Defender has changed and is really just an unstable program that was rushed into development without much testing starting in 2009.

I can't have an AV program where everytime I step away from the computer I have to pull out the internet cable from my PC because I never know when its going to come up not responding or services not available.

• Unfortunately I have to agree with Kentix in that I can no longer recommend this program to any of my customers until this problem is finally fixed. I value my time and can't be spending it trying to diagnose there faulty software when there are even free programs out there they don't have this issue.

• Edelia
    Options

Well, spent the whole day on the computer yesterday and once again I got the greyed out icon, red crosses in the little boxes and the computer froze for 2-3 minutes. This is after I followed all of Carmen's instructions. I will say that it only happened once instead of several times a day, but once is too much.

• Fida
    Options

So what is the filnal solution for this non stop freezing of the computer and constant grey icon and the unexplained scan bar that appears by itself everytime i start the computer??? you guys sent me a solution by email which i followed and didn't solve anything now what??

Fida

• Bigchess
    edited March 2010
    Options

Once again I'm back in this forum with more problems. My Bitdefender is also being grayed out randomly when the computer is on. This is happening on both my computers that I have Bitdefender installed on. What seems to be the deal?? This is nothing new with the software, I even had problems with the 2009 version too. (Only not as bad) This past month I have had nothing but troubles with this software. I have uninstalled Bitdefender completely from both systems and still having problems. I even reformatted my hard drive on my desktop and reloaded Bitdefender on my computer and the problem still plagues the program :( My operating system is Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro on my machines. I reformatted the Windows XP pro hoping it would solve the problem. Please fix this problem Bitdefender ASAP. I would recommend this program to others but THIS is the MAIN problem I have had with this software from the beginning and would not recommend it to others who would not know to check to be sure their computer is protected before they surf the net or check e-mails.

BTW I'm using Internet security 2010 not just the antivirus.

• Well on my xp sp2 o/s not only was there this issue, but from nowhere came a problem with the game mode also no games in the games list, any games that i entered where not saved

also bd would after 1-2 secs turn gray after a re start, and would take a min or more to load completely(turn red)

my solution was to uninstall it and after clearing all the junk it leaves in the registry (even using the installer tool)

I'm having the same problem also with game mode. Except mine wants to not go into game mode unless I log off and log back on. Then I can manually enter game mode.

• This happens to me all the time, at least 5 times a day. I have Windows XP and using Internet Security 2010. It's very unfortunate to say the least.

• I'm a total newbie - never before posted to a user forum - but I've been following this one since early November when I started to get the greyed out icon and the "services not responding..." message. I had 2010 Total Security installed on my XP pro and Win7 pro 32bit computers. Did the whole uninstall/reinstall routines several times. Lots of helpful, expert suggestions from forum contributors, but finally gave up and uninstalled it from both computers.

I just received a renewal notice from BD. No thanks! Time to move on. I think BD owes me for the past five months of unusable software.

• Bigchess
    edited March 2010
    Options

Yeah so far until BD fixes some of these major issues I have been using other companies trial software. This is insane it's taking them this long to fix a problem where all your security is not working at random times!! I used to love the 2009 version and had little problems with it. Every since 2010 version it's been one thing or another. But I have personally never seen a security software just grey out like Bitdefender. I suggest everyone who is having this issue also start using other programs free trials until they clear this up. I'm not a very happy consumer with BD products and will not renew after all the problems I have had.

• I counted, and it happened 8 times today in completely random occasions. I am completely baffled as to why this keeps happening over and over. It's very unfortunate because I find BD to have some really great features, but it runs terribly. I hope this gets fixed soon. Otherwise, it would be a shame.

• kungfu
    Options
    I counted, and it happened 8 times today in completely random occasions. I am completely baffled as to why this keeps happening over and over. It's very unfortunate because I find BD to have some really great features, but it runs terribly. I hope this gets fixed soon. Otherwise, it would be a shame.

Dont hold your breath,

This problem/Bug whatever you call it , was/is happening in the 2009 Version already and still in the 2010 version !

Still not fixed ???

So its no surprise to me what is happening now with the 1000 s of users whose pc,s are now unworkable/ruined..

• Oracle
    Options

Has there been any solution to this problem. Like many others, I am getting the grey icon upon start up and it frezes my PC between 30 and 60 minutes at a minimum. It is ridiculous that one has to wait that amount of time before BD services are functioning properly and updated.

I am too counting the days when the subscription is finished and the nightmare is over. My whole family are now discouraged in renewing their licences.

• jfrye
    Options

I continue to have the "not responding" PC lock up problem. It occurs about every 2 hours. When it happens my hard drive grinds and grinds away. Is that normal for the hard drive to run and run when BD is not responding? Does your hard drive do that as well? I'm curious what it's doing? Very annoying to say the least.

• Oracle
    Options
    I continue to have the "not responding" PC lock up problem. It occurs about every 2 hours. When it happens my hard drive grinds and grinds away. Is that normal for the hard drive to run and run when BD is not responding? Does your hard drive do that as well? I'm curious what it's doing? Very annoying to say the least.

I am at least fortunate that this problem does not occur every 2 hours otherwise my PC would be used as a door stop or frisbee lol.

I do find it does grind when the problem begins but only grinds a couple of times.

What I can't believe is that you see BD admin on site and yet they don't read the latest posts. I have a website very similar to BD and if I did that to my posters, they would be 'cheesed off'.

I don't have any confidence in support as my last three problems which involved weeks and weeks of back and forth emails resulted in no solutions provided by the engineering staff. I found I solved the problems myself by just 'googling'.

Just counting the days.. :(

• Edelia
    Options

Well. my icon is now permanently greyed out - from being greyed out when updating to now all the time. So the programme is not working.

I have already asked for my money back (3 licences) and the response was to get me to do more trouble shooting which did not produce any startling results as here I am again. I should not be having to do troubleshooting - I purchased a programme I thought was ready to go. I don't have time to keep checking on whether my internet security is working - I expect it to be working away in the background without much attention from me.

• Well. my icon is now permanently greyed out - from being greyed out when updating to now all the time. So the programme is not working.

I have already asked for my money back (3 licences) and the response was to get me to do more trouble shooting which did not produce any startling results as here I am again. I should not be having to do troubleshooting - I purchased a programme I thought was ready to go. I don't have time to keep checking on whether my internet security is working - I expect it to be working away in the background without much attention from me.

This is quite common for BD... since version 2009. I have these problem every now and then. The only solution is to reinstall.... but then I still stick to BD but with this incident. I had enough....

even their network managmeent is not working properly.

• Edelia
    Options

Yes, I re-installed - haven't time at the moment to seek out other options,but I will. This is quite ridiculous .....

• Kieran
    Options

It would be nice to think that they were looking at solving this problem, seeing as it isn't just going to disappear. I am fed up of running diagnostic tools and submitting logs. I cannot believe they are unable to reproduce the problem in-house. Unless it gets fixed, I'm not renewing my licenses. It's just so... amateur.

Kieran

• pvp
    Options

My Bitdefender disappears from the the sytem tray once in a while after restart and the task manager shows that only bdagent is running. Once in a while 'Bitdefender services are starting' message appears. I assume that these problems haven't been solved it and also from the posts here people are ###### angry about the service. This coupled with their shoddy response to the 'Fake Trojan Alert' issue has forced me to think again about carrying on with BD.

• Kieran
    Options

Have just read back through this complete thread, and it seems clear to me that there isn't going to be a solution to this problem. Somewhere deep inside BitDefender, there is some shoddy coding that lacks resilience, and it needs changing. Seems very little point blaming spyware and AV software from other companies for 'interfering' with the operation of your own software, when your software doesn't appear to have the same negative impact on other companies spyware and AV solutions. Bad design/coding, pure and simple.

Kieran

• Alzaman
    edited March 2010
    Options

I don't see the point in downloading and running the BDAGENT.EXE file, this is just immaterial and is no solution for the problem. Every user has more or less downloaded it, and no fix has been created, because the only central problem we have is BitDefender .. no hardware, no services.

I've never known any company to basically admit that every single user is at fault rather than their software, it's obviously the central problem, because all users have differently configured computers, not generic, so why not issue a A PATCH that addresses the problems you must have isolated in the BDAGENT uploads countless users have sent.

It's an ironically named piece of software, because it defends SOD ALL .. the services never run.

There is no pre-requisite to upload every single piece of information about your PC to BD, it hasn't worked, move to plan B, instead of appearing to know how to resolve software bugs, at this rate BDAGENT will be requesting a DNA sample from me, as it uploads everything else to BD !!

As i said before, under consumer law, if a product or service you paid for is not working as advertised, then it's not fulfilling the contract between the customer and the seller. Legally this makes the contract null and void, and a refund imminent.

• Edelia
    Options

I wonder if anyone has been successful in obtaining a refund! I did ask for one some time ago but just got a request for me to do more testing !

• jfrye
    Options
    I wonder if anyone has been successful in obtaining a refund! I did ask for one some time ago but just got a request for me to do more testing !

I think that's part of their game. Continue to have the customer do testing and jumping through hoops but when the customer gets tired of it and quits they can say they made a good faith effort at satisfying the customer complaint but the customer is not cooperating so a refund isn't provided.

This discussion has been closed.