Apparently quarantined file cannot be restored

Dear Community,

After doing a full system scan of my computer, but cancelling half way through since it was slowing to a crawl after a few hours, one of my Outlook pst-mailboxes appeared to be missing. The slowing down was as far as I could tell not related to the mising mailbox, since it was scanning some texture files of a game. The mailbox was about 8 GB large. At the same time, the free space on the C: drive (the apparent location of the quarantine directory) was significantly reduced (the mailbox was on the D: drive), so it seems that the file was indeed quarantined.

However, when I look in Bitdefender and go to security -> quarantine, no files are mentioned as being quarantined, so none can be restored. When I look in C:\ProgramData\Bitdefender\Desktop\Quarantine directory, a BDQ-file of 8GB has appeared (together with a REF file), with a date/time stamp during the scan, so it seems this would be the mailbox-file. I tried to change the name to PST, but that does not work, so I assume it is encrypted.

How can I restore my mailbox? I do not have any reason to believe that there was any malware present, and either way I would want to get the non-infected emails back.

Kind regards,

Gerard

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.