So It Seems The Security Widget Is Gone For Good?

Answers

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod

@Captain Obvious

Just for information purpose, the development team has already stated that they will not introduce the widget back.

Now, posting and encouraging the people to spam the support department email can lead to banning of your account on forum. Around 13 accounts have already been banned on the forum in past 2 weeks due to unusual behaviour of users on the forum.

Even if users will write to the support department, they will get the same response & hardly there are 7-8 users only and that too in this particular post out of total 132,205 users in the forum which want security widget back. So calculation says it all. Less than 1% people of the total number of people on the forum.

@Alex D., @Andy_BD

Regards

Flex

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

• Blow it out your rear end Flexx! You have got to be the single most annoying, condescending, and useless member of these forums! Just stop posting already! Multiple people (even some in this very thread) have complained about you, and now I am too. So just stop.

• Flexx
    edited October 2020

I guess that's why you are not able to help people, or interact with them, or provide them with valuable solution regarding their issue and just tell them to spam things. Additionally ratings says it all my friend, how many people are satisfied by my answer and your answer. Compare your profile with mine and you will know the difference.

You have been an old member, possibly before me, still you are not able to get the answers to users question or help them in anyway. Do you have any positive way of making things go right.

So if you want me to stop, why not make me. Good luck friend.

Regards

Flex

• @Flexx

Just for your information. Letting Bitdefender know that you are unhappy with a decision they have made to remove a popular feature, is not spam. I'll give you one example. In 2012 the BD development team decided to remove the users ability to schedule scans. This was a highly unpopular move, much as removal of the widget, and customers let them know. The ability to schedule scans was subsequently restored in the next iteration of BD. On the contrary, I find that 80% of your posts are spam. They serve no purpose and help noone. My advice to the development team is Bring back the widget, get rid of Flexx.

• Flexx
    edited October 2020

Hi Member.

I never said that giving bitdefender a feedback is wrong. I have myself dropped them 3 different emails regarding the widget at different intervals, but they have said the same things each time. Now saying that "They won't take us seriously if we don't flood them with angry emails" is a wrong way of directing people that is equivalent to spamming the support.

Additionally, if you think 80% of my post are spam, share the links to me. I will rectify those things. And if those post would have really been spam, then bitdefender staff/ admin would have already removed those post and given me the instructions to rectify those errors, as they gave me when I newly joined the community.

Regards

Flex

• Please bring the widget back. Was the 1st thing I noticed and I already regret updating to the latest version.

It wont hurt the software to bring it back for those who need it. I rely heavily on it to see how my system was acting and i taught many people to use the widget and now its just gone? what a stupid move BD... Honestly now, making it worse isnt the way to keep a customer that has been with you guys for over 10 years.

• Hey man

as they say you can get notification from windows notification in right down of the windows near the time

then why you make sense for that when you can see you are safe or not with bitdefender icon on taskbar that says you are safe?

I am like the widget too and its design but that is not very important thing that other product doesnt use widget

bitdefender delete safe files too but I am agree with that too(still now it is on antivirus module and not deleted but like to be deleted in future)

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

Thank you all for signing this petition made in the past to your friends, clients and relatives, together we can make a difference and bring back this Widget
    Since the last Bitdefender update the widget has suddenly disappeared, according to Our information the developers have stopped this widget due to the system resources on the computers

But which widget was one of Bitdefender's flagship keys, we could see at a glance what was going on.
    Today we are calling for the return of this Widget on a global scale.

Sign this petition to demand the speedy return of the Bitdefender widget.

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/introduction-widget-bitdefender/109755

• Wow! I thought maybe I had accidentally turned off the widget. It is jaw-dropping to me that BD decided to remove such a useful feature. I have been a BD customer for many years. Previously I had always renewed for one or two years max. Wouldn't you know that this last time around I renewed until 2024. Even so, I'm going to start looking around for another vendor in hopes of finding one with better judgement or at least one that is not so obstinate about correcting an error in judgement. In the meantime, I may try to downgrade to TS 2020 if I can.

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

Hello

If you want it to work and Bitdefender to reverse its opsitions sign the petition here please

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/introduction-widget-bitdefender/ 109755

• Since I had the opportunity to throw my little cyber-fit and have gotten that off my chest, I thought I should post again and offer a functionality-oriented reason and a business-oriented reason for reinstating the security widget.

With regard to functionality:

The nature of security software is that it runs in the background. I need to spend my conscious effort on my own business, so I never consciously think about the need to open my security app to check for notifications (and I don't want to have to develop a need to consciously think about it). Therefore it is very useful that with a quick glance I can see a small prompt in the corner of my screen that makes me aware that there are possible issues that need to be addressed.

With regard to the business of selling software:

I have been a software developer for 35 years. One of the things I have learned is that you don't just jerk out a feature that is used by a small percentage of users without first considering the type of users that comprise that relatively small group. I think this group of widget users you think of as small, is probably what you might call power users; and you don't mess with power users because they are usually influencers within their own community of family, friends, and colleagues. I'll give you an example. I have 4 grown children. None of them are in technology professions, but they all use technology in their work and, of course, at home. Who do you think they go to for technical support (without being specific, I can tell you that the widget helps when you're doing tech support over the phone) and advice on what hardware and software to buy? And what do you think is going to happen when it's time to renew their BD subscription and they ask me about it? So in the end you will have lost not just 1 subscription; you will have lost 5 subscriptions, not to mention new and repeat business from friends and acquaintances.

• Flexx

@Alex D. (bitdefender staff) @Andy_BD (forum administrator)

Can you please get some information on the latest information regarding the widget from your internal department & update this post.

Regards

Flex

• Please bring the Widget back or I am switching to a different AV when my subscription ends. I also work in IT and will recommend my company to switch to another AV

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

No worries a petition for this return is in progress I will ask you to sign it as much as possible

if you want the return of this widget in the next few weeks do the

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/introduction-widget-bitdefender/109755

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

You can share it to the max here I just put it in English

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/reintroduction-security-widget/109998

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I think you accidentally deleted the petition. Alternatively, we Americans typically use https://www.change.org/ as our primary petition website.

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭
    Hello,

The response from support and that since Windows and switched to the metro interface this Widget no longer exists but who really knows this metro interface.

• Just renewed my subscription only to find no more security widget. After many years with Bitdefender this will be the last. Removing the security widget was a dumb and unnecessary move

• Widget Feature: My 5 yr Bit. license for 5 computers expires January 2021. Because you have X'd the Widget feature; I will not be renewing. Too bad. I liked yr Virus Protection. And thought this wee icon was invaluable. Perhaps you might want to listen to yr customers!!!

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭
    we can still change her

sign this petition

https://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/reintroduction-widget-bitdefender/109755

• I just renewed my Total Security to family package, and noticed the Security Widget is gone. This is far most useful feature for layman like me. I can know what is happen to my PC security health by looking at the widget. Now I am no sure whether the Bitdefender is running on the back ground or not. Total disappointed with the Widget being removed. Please bring it back!

• Don't forget to send customer support an email: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/

They're not going to bring it back unless we affect the volumes of their emails.

• Bring back the security widget........ WE ALL PAID FOR IT!!!!!!

• I think it might be helpful if more people would use the "vote" feature in my first post at this link - https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/82831/please-bring-back-the-security-widget-in-total-security

Especially since it's in the "Product features and Ideation" forum and BitDefender describes that section as:

"Product features and Ideation

Bring your ideas to the table! Show us how you'd like to see our products improved, vote on ideas from others and see them come to life."

Using Bitdefender Total Security. Paying BD customer since 2012

• So my system updated to the new version of Bitdefender this morning. Not that it will probably matter to the powers that be, but for what it's worth, the security widget in my opinion was one of the best features of Bitdefender - I used it ALL the time. Sadly disappointed the company has taken the view that it's "not of value" to anyone. I feel like with most aspects of life these days, they didn't really bother to ask the ones who are most affected by this action . . the end user. As has been already stated, if it is a matter of computer resources being used, there always is the option for the individual to disable the feature on their own.

• I thought that Bitdefender failed to load properly when no widget appeared this morning (that happens occasionally on one of my PCs). After restarting with the same result and the option not even in the settings, I learned that it was discontinued. A very bad business model to discontinue a feature that people have paid for prior to their subscription expiration. I sent an email to them but I won't sign any petitions - I think they're just an invitation to be spammed. Like others, if the widget isn't brought back, when my subscription expires next year I'll look elsewhere for my security software.

My guess is that the widget required a lot of code housekeeping, and the developers simply decided to eliminate it.

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

hello the metro interface indicated by Bitdefender no longer exists, at least it is not by default and will be gone soon. so all this does not hold and yes sign the petition and important the more signatures there are, the more the Security widget will come back.

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭

After my latest info and comments from chat support, it will look like the widget is becoming the number one source of support, it is starting to get swamped with emails regarding the widget that we need to continu

Here is their writing made public

October 29, 2020, 8:38 am - Gauthey : Do not tell me that this is due to the fact that Windows and passed to the metro interface this information and false

October 29, 2020, 8:39 am - Daniel Silimon : Please allow me a couple of moments to locate your account, thank you!

October 29, 2020, 8:41 am - Daniel Silimon : Gauthey, thank you for your patience. From what I can see here, you already have an open case in regards to this matter, which has already been escalated to the second level of support for further assistance. Thus you will have to wait for their reply on this matter.

October 29, 2020, 8:41 am - Gauthey :

But it's been almost 3 days

October 29, 2020, 8:42 am - Gauthey :

And it starts to stir on social networks and on your forum where everyone is asking for feedback.

October 29, 2020, 8:42 am - Daniel Silimon : I would like to apologize for our delay in addressing your request. Due to an increased number of similar requests, my colleagues weren't able to get back to you as quickly as we would have liked to. To make sure that they contact you back in regards to your request in the shortest amount of time, I will further increase the priority of your case.

October 29, 2020, 8:43 am - Gauthey :

Similar is to say for questions by contribution to the Widget?

October 29, 2020, 8:44 am - Gauthey :

So it's moving on the development side regarding this case

October 29, 2020, 8:44 am - Daniel Silimon : Indeed, at this moment, I do not have other information to provide except what you have received so far, that's why you will have to wait for their answer, Gauthey.

October 29, 2020, 8:45 am - Gauthey : Yes but you said there were similar requests, the other requests are also by contribution to the Widget?

October 29, 2020, 8:46 am - Daniel Silimon : Of course, there are other requests as well, that's why the ultimate decision lies with the upper levels of support, as all the feedback is centralized.

October 29, 2020, 8:47 am - Gauthey : ok

October 29, 2020, 8:48 am - Daniel Silimon : Would there be anything else that I can help you with during this chat?

October 29, 2020, 8:48 am - Gauthey :

OK thanks a lot

• I can concur with the majority on this thread, and what I suspect is actually the majority of BD users: The Widget was the primary reason for me to use BD Total Security. Like almost everyone posting here, that Widget provided immediate feedback which I greatly appreciated and which I now expect. Like many others, I also have recommended, and installed, BD on well over 100 other users' systems and even had my company switch to BD, 75 user accounts.

Without the Widget, BD is just another piece of fluff software bloating my computer, in my opinion. I have no idea it is doing anything. I have yet to receive a single 'notification' from Windows or Bitdefender since upgrading, so I doubt I ever will receive a notice of any issues. To me, this drop of the Widget is a backwards step and Bitdefender developers and management should be embarrassed!

I will not renew my company accounts nor will I renew my personal accounts. I do not relish the task of finding another security program but year after year Bitdfender continues to make 'improvements' which are, in reality, cost cutting steps for them or pointless changes to make the 'experience' prettier but by no means more useful.

I am so utterly disappointed with Bitdfender. There decision shows an absolute lack of care for their existing customers and shows that they truly do not have a grasp on what their customers use and why!

• Flexx

The latest update by bitdefender staff on the widget !

Regards

Flex

• Gauthey
    Gauthey ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I'll really want to see the basic numbers, when you see that it removes a security widget and adds a button to put Bitdefender in dark mode while realizing there is a problem somewhere.

• GDSchulz
    GDSchulz
    edited October 2020

I use Bitdefender Internet Security. Let me join the many other customers expressing dismay at the demise of the widget.

I'm wondering how it was determined that the widget was a low-usage feature, when its chief purpose is to put eyeballs on, not clicks. How do you measure how many times people glance down at the widget for reassurance that their security condition is green and their notifications zero? Isn't the best measure of the widget's success the fact that the user is NOT clicking on it?

I have been using Bitdefender for many, many years. I realize that the times and technology change. But my most consistent complaint with the product over the years has been the trend toward taking control and visibility away from users and hiding them under the covers. If the widget is truly gone for good, then I mourn its passing. And I would heartily welcome its return.

The widget may not get a lot of clicks, but that's a good thing. It's a feel-good and convenience feature for Bitdefender customers. How important is that? The product developers should seriously rethink their terrible decision to remove it.

• "I'm wondering how it was determined that the widget was a low-usage feature, when its chief purpose is to put eyeballs on, not clicks."

Think before talking, the feature of the widget is started from the settings in Bitdefender, therefore needs to be enabled, statistically the numbers are gathered by the users that have that option enabled.

• Hello,

we all know it needs to be enabled through settings but it doesn't mean anything as it can be enabled or disabled, some sometimes turn it on and off at other leds the numbers can't reflect the truth.

right now tell me what is the point of having set up a dark mode for Bitdefender when it has nothing to do with security.

• and low usage is no excuse, this widget has been around since 2013, it has always had quite low usage just because it is not really well promoted, it must be said that from 2013 to 2020 it is a selling point for many millions of people.

• No widget! Well no renewing my 5 device software with you next year! It's one of the main reasons I like this AV. Sorry to see it go but I'm sure Bitdefender won't be sorry to see me go!

• Flexx

@Alex D.@Andy_BD

Can you please get any available developer from the bitdefender team to come and share the opinion regarding the widget. Support team is of no help and they are now sharing the pre feeded templates as their replies. It would be helpful if you can arrange someone from the developer team to come forward and respond here. A direct conversation with any of the available developer will be the best thing.

Can you please arrange a developer to directly comment on this post, instead of waiting for support to share the feedback with developers, then developers sharing the response to support and then support sharing the response to user. It takes around a weeks time whereas earlier in maximum of 72 hours all tickets used to receive a response.

Please arrange any available developer from development team to directly reply back here. It will be of great help.

Regards

Flex

• No widget?!!! Why? Please bring back that very useful widget. I have 259 days from my subscription but I'll start looking for another AV that has a widget (because I'm not going to start clicking every 5 minutes to see notification area). I really hope this problem will be fixed.

• Flexx
    edited November 2020

Hi Member,

No other AV has widget. Kaspersky used to have it but they also removed it, I guess, 3-4 years ago.

Regards

Flex

• Write them emails, come and sign this petition for the return of the Widget

• As many others said here, that widget was a major "selling point" for BD. Now is just another AV.

Well, if another AV will "welcome back" the widget, they will surely get me. I still have 258 day to figure this out.

• All the more reason to have one. One up on your competitors! Yes Kaspersky did have one and when they dropped it I moved to Bitdefender. So you can see how much it means to me!

• Hello,

We have proof that the petition set up can make a difference, the support we have confirmed that the developers consult it every day and he watches the beginners share this petition as much as possible.

Look at the screenshot, it's just getting started :)