Disable pop ups or not give them focus

Hi all, just installed Bitdefender yesterady and generally happy with the peace of mind it offers.

But what I find annoying are the "Threat detected - Bitdefender blocked a threat" pop-ups every time I select a mail message in Outlook.

Not so much the fact that the message pops up, but more that the pop-up gains system focus. Now I have to click the mail-message again to be able to delete it. Is there a way to disable the pop-up?

Thanks for any pointers!

Answers

• Hello @Bertus and welcome to the Community!

This situation is most likely caused by the fact that the website in the notification has an expired certificate.

If you do not visit the website and you still receive these notifications, then your browser connects to it either through allowed notifications or toolbars/extensions. I suggest that you clear the cache & cookies, remove any unused/unknown extensions and if the issues persist, reset your browser. You can find these steps here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2574/

Alternatively, you can add an exception for the website in Bitdefender - Protection - Online Threat Prevention - Manage Exceptions, or, from the same area (Online Threat Prevention) - disable the Encrypted Web Scan feature which scans for the certificates of websites (not a recommended action).

Efforts are being made by the developers to mitigate these notifications, especially the ones that are stealing focus and the alerts that are displayed consistently. If Bitdefender detects an expired certification or a possible vulnerability, it will continue to trigger them in this manner. Try to add exceptions for the most visited websites that trigger this type of notification, if you are absolutely certain they do not possess a threat. This should stop such notifications or reduce them considerably.

Best regards.

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user

• Bertus
    edited March 2022

Thanks for your reply!

It's not a website I visit, just clicking a (spam) e-mail message in my Outlook Inbox. If the message contains one or more links to external pages, the pop-up may already be triggered.

But that in itself is not a problem either, just the fact that at this point the pop-up is the active window, makes me have to re-activate Outlook to delete the e-mail, which kinda annoys me.

• Hi,

I understand. Well, I think the spam messages are a good place to start with. You can enable the Antispam module which will help. Check the article below for detailed steps on how to mitigate spam:

The article will also provide guidance in the event the antispam module is already enabled, but does not block spam e-mails.

You can also choose not to have the e-mails scanned by selecting the option highlighted in the screenshot:

Let us know which option works best for you.

Best regards.

• I'm afraid that's not gonna work bc I use IMAP configuration.

• hi Alexandru_BD,

why doesnt bitdefender not support IMAP. Spams will not be blocked.

• Hello @WolfgangE,

IMAP may not download the complete email at once, it can feed the content piece by piece. For example, it may only download headers and display the subject or body and attachments can be downloaded later on. Bitdefender scans the emails in the driver. That's why it's very complicated to add IMAP support.

IMAP is more like HTTP, it's basically a view over emails on a remote server, unlike POP3, Outlook, Exchange, etc. where the content is 100% local or accessible on a server.

Best regards.