Want To Scan A File Before Downloading It. Is That Possible And How?

Twenty-five page PDF on LinkedIn that I'd like to download. Want to scan it with Bitdefender Total Security Build 27.0.3.19 on my Windows 10 pc BEFORE downloading. Is that possible? How?

If not possible, what is best way to ensure I don't infect my pc with anything on this file download?

Appreciate any help.

Best Answers

• Scott
    Scott Defender of the month mod
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Hi @Gumby1406

No, not that I'm aware of. If that file has a download link, you could submit it to Virus Total.

Otherwise, you could download it straight to a USB drive and do a contextual scan from there. And if you wanted to, submit that downloaded PDF to VirusTotal.

Kind regards,

Scott

All Bitdefender Home Product User Guides:https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/user-guides/

• Flexx
    Flexx DEFENDER OF THE YEAR 2023 / DEFENDER OF THE MONTH ✭✭✭✭✭ mod
    Answer ✓

To add a quick note here, if a link is not detected as malicious that does not means that the file that it will download will not be malicious. There is no harm in downloading the file since downloading the file will not make your PC malicious, downloading and then executing the file might make your PC malicious.

So, my take here would be that if the link is leading to downloading of a particular file which you suspect can be malicious, there is no harm in downloading the file, but once you download the file, do not double click or execute it and upload the file directly on virustotal.com to check if the specific file is detected as malicious by any antimalware vendor.

Regrads

Life happens, Coffee helps!

Show your Attitude, when you reach that Altitude!

Bitdefender Ultimate Security Plus (user)

Answers