Kindly be advised we cannot cancel subscriptions or issue refunds on the forum.
You may cancel your Bitdefender subscription from Bitdefender Central or by contacting Customer Support at: https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

Notification deleted after infected files

Options

Hi! So yesterday I got a few notifications that files from C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\*file*.temp were infected with "Gen:Variant.Jatommy.3.3433". The notification said that the system was fine/the threat was eliminated (I think) and there was an option to move the files to quarantine but when I pressed it, it told me that the files were deleted, I'm guessing since they were temporary anyway. I was not browsing any fishy sites at the time tbh so that's why I'm curious what happened.

I have come to understand that a few other AV solutions had the same issue yesterday and they were mostly discovered to be false positives. When I tried to check on the nofications from yesterday, they were deleted, but I did not delete them.

I scanned my PC with the full scan and the rescue environment and everything seems fine I guess? Any ideas on what happened or if it was a false positive? Or if it was not, do I need to do anything else since the scans are telling me everything is fine?

Best Answer

• garioch7
    garioch7 Defender of the month ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@emmaro12 ,

Welcome to the Bitdefender Forums. That was most likely a false positive. I am not sure why your notifications were deleted from the previous day if you did not do it. My notifications go back to March 8.

If a BD Full Scan came back clean, I would say your computer is safe. Bitdefender is no longer detecting any malware issues on your computer.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

Phil

Former Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

Answers

• emmaro12
    Options

@garioch7, thank you for your reply. I feel a bit better now. I've scanned my computer multiple times but I really don't think anything is up with it, nothing out of the ordinary is coming up. Except for the notifications, but I don't know, I'm not thinking too much about it haha

Thank you so much for the reply and have a nice day!

• garioch7
    Options

@emmaro12 ,

Thank you for posting back. You are most welcome for our assistance. It is always great when our efforts are acknowledged. Thanks again.

Have a great day, and stay safe in cyberspace!

Regards,

Phil

• emmaro12
    Options

@garioch7, sorry for replying again, just wanted to add that not all notifications were deleted from yesterday, just the critical ones related to the infected files, if that gives you any hint about what happened? I just thought that since it did say that they were dealt with anyway and they were most likely a false positive they disappeared by themselves. If not, I'm gonna just assume it was a weird thing and nothing else is happening haha
    Again thank you and sorry again

• garioch7
    Options

@emmaro12 ,

I would have to say that something weird probably happened if you did not erase those critical events in the log. It is easy to click the delete (trash can) rather than read (double check marks) buttons. I have done that myself.

I have not heard of critical event notifications disappearing for what were ultimately determined to be FPs.

In any event, your computer is safe and well-protected. Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Phil