Synchronization error (0x800CCC0E) in Outlook 2016

As the title says, I am getting error 0x800CCC0E in Outlook 2016 whenever I attempt to check my email. The error started yesterday (10FEB2021) with no setting changes to Outlook. I am able to check email through the Mail app on my iPhone and through

I have confirmed that my mail account in Outlook 2016 matches the instructions at I am using the Secure Mail Key. I've also removed the account completely, restarted Outlook without it, shut down, and then recreated the account settings. Same issue.

If I use the Wizard in Outlook to set the account up, it ends with the error "Something went wrong" (real informative). However, if I go into Mail settings in Control Panel to set up the account, the process completes properly. I can confirm this by going into email on my iPhone or Yahoo and seeing the test message that is sent from Outlook.

I think I've narrowed down the root cause. I am running Bitdefender Internet Security. Under "Online Thread Protection", there is an option called "Encrypted Web Scan". When this is enabled, I am getting the error. Whenever I shut this option off, it works without issue. I am not sure if it's AT&T's server that is triggering this or something in one of the e-mails.



Featured content

bitdefender review banner

Ukrainian Government Websites Defaced in Massive Cyberattack

Hackers took down and defaced several Ukrainian government websites after diplomatic talks between Ukrainian, Russian and US officials reached a dead end on Thursday.

Read more
bitdefender review banner

Top Five Security Tips for iPhone Owners in 2022

‘Less is more applies’ perfectly to exploits targeting iOS. They are rare, but can inflict major damage..

Read more
bitdefender review banner

Critical Vulnerability in 3 WordPress Plugins Impacts 84,000 Websites

“Security experts last week disclosed a critical WordPress plugin vulnerability affecting over 84,000 websites"

Read more