Trojan File Keeps Coming Back. What To Do?
A file auto downloaded from a site and I accidentally clicked on it instead of deleting it, since it's a one click to open on Chrome. Bitdefender picked up a "chrome.bat" file and quarantined it, but it keeps on reappearing. I've ran a couple full scans and nothing comes up for some kind of program running in the background.
I don't know what to do and don't want my system to be compromised.
The main annoyance with this, as bitdefender seems to be doing its job, to be honest is that I keep on getting notifications every few minutes about "threat detected" and it deselects my current window so I have to click back into it.
Flexx Defender of the month mod
Check if below steps helps you in any way.
1) Restart PC in safe mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234
2) Open run command and run below command one by one:
temp ,delete all the files in the folder
%temp% ,delete all the files in folder
prefetch ,delete all the files in folder
3) Restart your PC in general mode by unticking the option that you selected to run the system in safe mode and then click apply.
4) Reset your browsers:
Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en
Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings
Microsoft Edge: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/reset-microsoft-edge/
5) Now, to be on a safer side, I would also advise you to run these portable scanners which do not require any installation
* Download and run Malwarebytes AdwCleaner: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner
* ESET Online Scanner: https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/online_scanner/latest/esetonlinescanner.exe
* Download and run a scan with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool: https://devbuilds.s.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/KVRT/latest/full/KVRT.exe .Make sure you checkmark System Memory, Startup Objects, Boot Sectors & System Drive before running a scan.
* Dr.Web CureIt!: https://cdn-download.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/1673308974.271/l44hmkvh.exe
OMEN Laptop 15-en1037AX (Bitdefender Total Security) & Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (Bitdefender Mobile Security)0
This sounds like a task for the Bitdefender anti-malware team, so do the steps below.
First, take screenshot(s) of the issue,
create a log file on your Windows device using Bitdefender Support Tool, by following these steps:
create a log file on your Windows device using BDsysLog, by following these steps:
Next, contact Bitdefender Consumer Support by e-mail:
with short description of the issue.
After that, you will get an automated reply by the Bitdefender Customer Care Team, with your ticket number.
Now, in reply to that automated reply, you can send the screenshot(s) you already took and the log files you already created in the first step.
Since you are all done, just wait for the support engineers to investigate your issue and find a solution.
The main annoyance with this, as bitdefender seems to be doing its job, to be honest is that I keep on getting notifications every few minutes about "threat detected" and it deselects my current window so I have to click back into it. - Regarding this, check if you have the version 22.214.171.124 installed, because it contains some improvements released specifically for this pop-up notification behaviour.
@Alexandru_BD I don't mean to follow up with you again, it's just that WolfeHowles is new here and may not know how to easily find the version number., so I just wanted to make sure :)
Thank you @Scott, I appreciate it very much!! 👍️
By the way, the whole "Threat detected" saga can be found here:
But this topic is also spreaded on several threads across the forum.
The main issue was that such notifications were stealing focus as they appeared on the screen numerous times after their initial dismissal. Now, I'm not sure if @WolfeHowles is encountering the same issue, but it's good practice to check for that update 😅1