Is safepay browser a good starting point for logging into my accounts safely

Stinga_jezza
edited May 2023 in Privacy

Good morning team,

I have bitdefender safepay for logging into my bank accounts and checking my Hotmail account. I have had issues with being hacked on my Samsung phone and this computer and I am very suspicious that someone has accessed my bitdefender password manager.

For this reason my plan is to factory reset both and I want to know if it could be a good idea to access all my services that require me to sign in via Bitdefener Safepay browser as I feel my passords are less likely to be compromised when I enter them and it has some good features like not allowing screen shots.

Then I could just use Firefox or MULVAD browser to surf the web privately for general use.

I would also like to mention that I have bitdefender VPN running whilst I use safepay browser. I have tried using Safepay with nordvpn however it does not appear to work with this browser.

Kind Thanks

Answers

• Hello @Stinga_jezza,

If you have any security concerns with your device, you can run a full system scan first and see if Bitdefender finds anything suspicious. If you are referring to the Password Manager and not the Wallet, it's unlikely for anything like that to happen, due to the strong level of security it provides. It’s not just passwords that are being encrypted, but whole data sets, like urls, domain and usernames, credit card data, notes, identities etc. If someone should get ahold of the encrypted data, it would simply be impossible for them to pick just a particular website password to crack, since there is no information about which information this particular data set contains.

With Password Manager, encryption keys are not generated from the user’s master password, but through derivations of data including a strong random key. Instead of PBKDF2 we use a much more secure hashing function called ARGON2ID.

Sensitive user data does not leave the device without being encrypted in a secure way. We encrypt and decrypt everything locally, so the cloud service has no way to decrypt the data without the user’s master password and the keys which are generated locally.

In regard to the protected browser, by default, Bitdefender detects when you navigate to a banking site in any browser on your computer and prompts you to launch it in Bitdefender Safepay. The sealed environment is designed to keep online banking, e-shopping, and any other type of online transaction private and secure and you can use it to access any websites. However, be advised that some banking websites may block your access if you are using a VPN connection, as part of security measures they might have in place. Some other regular websites have implemented a system to detect VPNs and do not load or display errors if the Internet connection is filtered through a VPN.

Regards

Premium Security & Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools user